engine still smoking after oil change

/ engine still smoking after oil change #1  

747driver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK27 HST
I have changed the oil 3 times since i accidental put a small amount ( 1 cup ) of antifreeze from a bad jug of oil ! The engine never ran with the full mixture in it....i saw the mistake and drained it out before running. Oil seems to be clean now with little or no anitfreeze coming out. My problem is the engine still continues to smoke but is getting better after each use. I have put alittle over a hour on the engine since oil change. The problem seems to stem from the fact i filled the engine using the valve cover fill port instead of using the fill port on the lower right side of the engine block. I have been told that pouring the oil in to fast will cause the oil to go into the breather tube which then lets oil get into the intake manifold . Some say to just keep running the tractor and in time the oil will burn out......The tractor runs fine and pulls power fine, it just smokes !!!

Thanks for any advice !

/ engine still smoking after oil change #2  
I fill my CK30 (10 y since new, 540h) from the top with no probs.

Seems to me that the risk of top-filling is what you say, but the consequences of getting
oil into the cyls thru the breather are either hydro-lock, or a mild case of runaway
(excessive RPM not controllable with speed controller).

You have neither, so I would not worry.

/ engine still smoking after oil change

Seems to me that the risk of top-filling is what you say, but the consequences of getting
oil into the cyls thru the breather are either hydro-lock, or a mild case of runaway

Thanks ! Never experienced working on diesel engines.....so its a learning curve !

/ engine still smoking after oil change #4  

He did report it tried to lock when he tried to start it after an oil change in a different thread.
Still I would just run it a while and see if the smoking clears up.

/ engine still smoking after oil change #5  
He did report it tried to lock when he tried to start it after an oil change
in a different thread. Still I would just run it a while and see if the smoking clears up.

Missed that thread. Hydro-lock...bad. At 22:1 compression, those chambers are really small.

Missed that thread. Hydro-lock...bad. At 22:1 compression, those chambers are really small.

When i went to start after 1st oil change there was a slight clunking sound like something was hung up. So i turned off the key and tried starting again....this time everything started ok. It only has happened that one time, it now starts normally. I think i have dodged a bullet...only time will tell !! Everyone i talk to seems to say the same thing.....just run it and see what happens.

When i went to start after 1st oil change there was a slight clunking sound like something was hung up. So i turned off the key and tried starting again....this time everything started ok. It only has happened that one time, it now starts normally. I think i have dodged a bullet...only time will tell !! Everyone i talk to seems to say the same thing.....just run it and see what happens.

/ engine still smoking after oil change #8  
Is it white or blue smoke? If you hydrolocked it the rod may be bent and you can loose compression in that cylinder causing the fuel not to completely burn. That would be a white puff every time the cyl fired. If it is blue and constant, it sounds like everyone is saying and is excess oil. CJ

Is it white or blue smoke? If you hydrolocked it the rod may be bent and you can loose compression in that cylinder causing the fuel not to completely burn. That would be a white puff every time the cyl fired. If it is blue and constant, it sounds like everyone is saying and is excess oil. CJ

It is a very light blue smoke. The engine runs strong with no drop in rpms when loading the engine. It is slowly clearing up ! Thanks for the info...

/ engine still smoking after oil change #10  
Sounds like you did get some oil in the intake through the PCV vent, not enough to damage engine though. There will be some residual oil lying in the intake that gets sucked in cylinders with the air, this is what is burning/smoking. It will take a little time to dry the intake out, just keep running it and the higher engine RPM will increase air flow speed and help suck the oil dry faster.