Equipment question

/ Equipment question #1  

KDC

Tractor
Kubota L2800 Ford 8N Gravely 2Wheel
I'm looking to plant some corn ect. on our property here in very rocky New Hampshire. I've been using my 1952 8N for mowing for years, but recently purchased a Kubota L2800. I'm wondering what is the correct tool to turn the soil to get it ready for planting. Disc? Plow? or a combination. I've always been a gardener and use a Troybilt tiller and a two wheel Gravely for that 40'X60' patch. Getting this are ready took several weekends over a two year time frame. Thanks for your response(s) Ken

/ Equipment question #2  
Is it previous farmland? Native soil? If it is reclaiming old farmland, usually you moldboard plow if it will go in the ground. If not run some rippers/subsoilers through to loosen stuff up before plowing.

Next depending on how many rocks you drag out, you pick rocks or hire a mechanical rock picker.

Next you would probably use a disc harrow to break up the sod and attempt to press smaller rocks back into the ground.

Let the sod rot a bit then disc again.

Hopefully you have something you can plant at that point. The mold boarding should have been done in the fall though if you are planting this year.

Some people (not farmers usually!) will take big tillers out to speed up the sod breakdown. It sure speeds up the tiller breakdown at least.

/ Equipment question
Thanks for your reply. Well...I was hoping for this year but if it's got to be next, it will give me more time to build up our thin soil here in SW New Hampshire. I'll plan on planting in a smaller area of corn like last year. Yes, we do have lots of rocks to pick out. I used an old car hood and a chain for my rock sled in the past. After a dozen or so trips the rocks were out of the way.
I hope life will be easier with a loader to do most of the back breaking labor.