exhaust pipe question

/ exhaust pipe question #1  

Dave Pic

Tractor
JD 5203
I have a 2605H with about 50 hrs on it. Should there be any problem with me cutting the exhaust a little shorter and putting a flapper on it, so that I can get it into my workshop? Need to take off about 4 inches. Any warranty issues if I do this?

/ exhaust pipe question #2  
I have a 2605H with about 50 hrs on it. Should there be any problem with me cutting the exhaust a little shorter and putting a flapper on it, so that I can get it into my workshop? Need to take off about 4 inches. Any warranty issues if I do this?

Will the exhaust be in your face if you shorten it?

/ exhaust pipe question
No, its far enough away

/ exhaust pipe question #4  
Shouldn't be a problem at all. I cut off at least a foot from the pipe on my John Deere so it would fit under the breezeway between my house and garage. Then, because that did bring it down to face level for me, whenever I am using the tractor an extended period of time, I bought a 2' long extension at Napa that slips tightly over the 4" stub left after cutting the OEM exhaust and that lets the exhaust blow over my head.

/ exhaust pipe question #5  
Then I can think of a reason not to cut it, give it a day or two for others to weigh in.

best,

ed

/ exhaust pipe question #6  
Gasoline engine, there is a relationship between, valve size and exhaust pipe size and length which can have a profound effect on the torque curve.

But I can’t see it on a tractor. We used to set the length of the zoom tubes (one tube per cylinder no collectors), by spraying them with cheap spray paint and making a few runs to tune the car. This would burn off the paint where the exhaust gas was still hot, and then you went two pipe diameters past that and cut them off square. If you have some old spray paint around you could try that and see what happens.

/ exhaust pipe question #7  
If you are worried about the warrantee, call your dealer and get their response in writing.

/ exhaust pipe question #8  
I've done it before not a problem with warranty,matter fact made the tractor look better.

/ exhaust pipe question #9  
I've changed the exhaust pipe lengths on several small diesel tractors and it just didn't make any difference to the tractor at all.