Exhaust Pipe

/ Exhaust Pipe #1  

pennwalk

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 186D
My 186D is rigged with the exhaust pointing up. I think the previous owner unbolted the muffler and turned it and the short pipe up. the only problem is that I seem to get a lot of exhaust back in my face. I know there was a tall stack you could order from the dealer so being a cheap skate I had a muffler shop make one up. Works great but the first time out I snagged a vine and tore it off. I beat it with a hammer and put it back but I am not sure it is going to work for me long run. With the muffler in the stock horizontal position do you guys find you get a lot of exhaust coming back at you?

Chris

/ Exhaust Pipe #2  
I don't think horizontal is worse than straight up. Seems to me that up puts it right at nose height on these tiny tractors.

I had to turn mine down for orchard use and I don't notice exhaust much. Note the tip should be slightly down so water can't enter. But not very much down - I found that blew up dust that was worse than the exhaust. I took this picture before I rotated the elbow on the tip to make it nearly horizontal sideways.

In summary, I don't find horizontal to be a problem.

/ Exhaust Pipe #3  
Mine is down and a short elbow to make it blow out and not down. Does not blow dirt or come back on you.

Attachments

• 100_2138a.jpg
    100_2138a.jpg
    549.9 KB · Views: 827
  • 100_3706.jpg
    100_3706.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 920
   / Exhaust Pipe #4  
I'm another guy who can't stand diesels whose exhaust blows back in my face. Here's a picture of my wife on our YM165D.
I removed the factory pipe and slipped this short scrap of electrical conduit over the muffler outlet. With a hacksaw I slotted the bottom of the pipe so that a simple U-bolt would clamp it onto the muffler spigot. A close look at the picture shows the details. A trip to the auto parts store yielded the upper chrome piece. It ia a muffler tip, which in this case is used to help turn the splatter you get sometimes off to the side without restricting the exhaust gases from being mostly shot straight up vertical. The whole point of a vertical stack is turned to blow the fumes high into the air.
Luck, rScottyTiny tractor again.JPG

/ Exhaust Pipe #5  
Mine was turned horizontal when I bought it. The black soot was getting all over my frame and FEL I turned it up to vertical and have no problems. BTW I have the stock muffler.
Dave

/ Exhaust Pipe
The other thing I was thinking about was to keep the tall vertical stack which does work well to keep the exhaust out of my face and to some how spring load it so if it does snag on something it doesn't tear the muffler off.

Chris