Extended third party warranties

/ Extended third party warranties #31  
I just wish they would stop calling my number
They call my brother who is blind wanting to sell an extended warranty on his vehicle. The only vehicle he owns is a 1990 Chevy 1 ton dually with untold thousands of miles on it. (It has a 5.1 digit odometer) It hasn't been licenses in two years.

/ Extended third party warranties #32  
Who buys these warranties that people keep trying to sell me? Extended car and house warranties in particular is what I'm talking about. I have no idea what the rates would be but I'm sure it's difficult to collect on them.

Kevin
I bought a used truck from a dealership that my neighbor manages. He suggested a limited extended warranty from a company they have been dealing with and told me that he would show me how to double my money on the warranty. I used it once when an injector went bad due to junk in the fuel tank. Then he told me to take the truck to the dealership just before the warranty expired. They did a complete vehicle inspection and replaced every seal with a hint of seepage and any defects or potential problems they found. All billed to the insurance warranty. Sure enough, I did get my money back. And then some.

Would I buy an extended warranty from these people who call on the phone? Hell no.

/ Extended third party warranties #33  
This summer when I build the tractor shed, I’m planning on installing a grease pit deep enough I can roll down it on a stool and get to things.
Just use care when you're doing it. I'm sure that you know all of the potential hazards of grease pits.
A HS friend's father got around that by having a removable board or two in the wooden barn floor. They would drive over it, go down to the ground floor, and do whatever needed to be done.

/ Extended third party warranties #34  
Just use care when you're doing it. I'm sure that you know all of the potential hazards of grease pits.
A HS friend's father got around that by having a removable board or two in the wooden barn floor. They would drive over it, go down to the ground floor, and do whatever needed to be done.
I plan on putting a pair of rollers on the sides of the pit, so if a tire gets close it keeps rolling it off, instead of letting it climb. It is what they use in the commercial lube shops.

/ Extended third party warranties #35  
^^^^
There's also a hazard of fire or fumes trapping you underneath, as well as falling into it when a vehicle isn't over it.
So keep it covered when not in use, and don't let anybody throw a cigarette into the pit while you're doing a fluid change...
Things which you already know. ;)

/ Extended third party warranties #36  
Fridge is still going strong. Had to replace a light bulb. Going on 13 years. Need to order a new drawer for it if one is still available. Accidently overloaded it with beer

Replaced the heating element and control board for the dishwasher myself.

Cost parts and shipping. Was under $200.

Washer cost $350 and lasted 10 years. I think I was ahead on that one. Dryer was similar. paid $350 for that as well, but the store screwed up and gave me the $700 one. That thing is still going strong.

Stove, replaced the oven element. Didn't cost much. Was able to source that locally. 13 years so far

Flip the lid up and the control board is easily accessible. Couple screws and a quick connect. I would source that either locally or online and just pay for parts.

Ac unit after the initial repair covered by the home warranty worked 10 years flawlessly. Had to have the tech out this year to replace a capacitor. Bill was around $400. That will be the only time a tech will be out for a capacitor. As easy as that fix was, if it ever does it again, I'll source one and replace it myself.

Water heater was replaced by me. Picked one up locally and installed it myself. Can't remember what the new water heater cost, but it wasn't much.

I'm way under the $500 premium per year.

A home warranty is all about perspective and your personal needs.
Not everyone has a nephew that is an electrical engineer. Also not everyone is handy with troubleshooting. As long as I can get my home warranty for $500/yr I'm going to keep buying it. Again, no brainer for me.