Failure to start, you need to know this.

/ Failure to start, you need to know this. #1  

prs

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 650, Ventrac 4500Z AJ02248
Third time; first was first winter, four years ago. Second was year before last and third was an hour ago. Turn the key so that switch is in run postion. Dash lights on, slope meter boots-up. NO fuel pump clickity-click. NO starter motor. Check to make sure the battery disconnect is recyclead in case it timed out. Check brake is set, check PTO is off. All systems set, NO fuel pump and no starter motor. Play with cycing igniton switch several times; in the two previous experiences this seemed to cure the problem and I forgot about it. No joy this time. Open the hood, the brain is fully dark, no trouble lamps and the usually "ON" lamp is dark. Check battery voltage, 12.81V; that should not be surface voltage, the dash lights had been on for several minutes. Key off. Remove negative cable and CLUE, that cable has never been off and was only finger tight. Same with the positive cable, just barely snug. Cleaned the battery posts with a wire brush battery tool and the cable; no corrosion. Install the positive and then the negative cable; the brain is now alive, the fuel pump robust, and the 4500Z fires right up. Another clue that I have noted many times, the fuel pump very often would be stubborn to begin its function and sound sluggish, this ever since I have owned the machine. Now it clicks rapidly and immediately, very noticiable difference. Manual says to CHANGE the battery every 2 years, but I see no logic in that, but I will be checking the cable connections spring and fall.

prs

/ Failure to start, you need to know this. #2  
Glad you found the issue and that it turned out to be a simple fix.

I give my tractor a good check over when I’m done using it for summer work and getting it set up for winter. Give it a good wash to get the field miwing debris out if the radiator, grease and lube, check battery, filters, hoses, etc.

/ Failure to start, you need to know this. #3  
Sometimes you can get voltage and not get amperage.
Digital meters are most likely to get you those "false readings"

I don't see the Simpson 260 meter much anymore, but if you can find one, it is the one to have.

/ Failure to start, you need to know this.
Glad you found the issue and that it turned out to be a simple fix.

I give my tractor a good check over when I知 done using it for summer work and getting it set up for winter. Give it a good wash to get the field miwing debris out if the radiator, grease and lube, check battery, filters, hoses, etc.

I typically take some pride in keeping my equipment in great shape. A real bummer that I missed this routine check of cable fit.

prs