Farmall 140 Questions?

/ Farmall 140 Questions? #31  
Yes, I've been down this road before. I used to have a Farmall Cub with a Woods belly mower and a drawbar. It sounds like you are more into functionality than into collectibility (just assuming) so my recommendation would be to get a 3 point conversion. There is only one well-known vendor for those conversions, I believe worksaver (add the .com) has hitch kits (rear). That is probably your only out of the box product. I have seen various custom jobs of varying quality. I love my one point Fast Hitch for a number of reasons but I also love collecting. The one point makes a one man farm really quick and simple as I just back up into the implement and go. That being said, one point implements are difficult to comee by since they stopped making that last ones in the late 60's and many earlier than that. I live in NC so there are more than most places as a result of all the tobacco here and farmers loved the 140s for cultivating but even I find it hard to find one point implements sometimes, especially the rarer ones. If you want to check out prices, go to wengers (add the dot com) although they are usually overpriced in my opinion but have great pictures for reference. Go to their Farmall Equipment then Farmall Super A menu.
As regards your current set up, you are pretty stuck so you'll have to decide if you want a 3 pt or 1 pt set up. As I said, I had a drawbar set up and in fact, I had a plow and disk for the drawbar BUT I had to reverse the drawbar to use the plow. And , if I thought fast hitch equipment was hard to come by, it's even harder to find drawbar driven stuff (although you could probably customize lots of horse pulled equip ;-).
I think you should go for the 3 point conversion kit and call it a day so you can buy standard modern stuff (painful for me to say but you need to do what's right for you) and that tractor will serve well beyond your lifetime if you keep her up.
Good Luck
Ramon

/ Farmall 140 Questions?
Thanks for the info on the 3 point conversion.

And, you are partially correct about the functionality/collectabilty comment..... My grandfather had a farmall cub. So for the longest time, I had always had a "thing" for old farmall's and cubs in particular. So, I finally moved a couple months ago and got a little ground. I found a pretty decent deal on this 140, (I know its not a cub) - but the 140 was well maintained, and it is what I would refer to as "Good from Far, but far from Good..." It would take a lot of time and some $$ to restore it and make it nice. Its in very good mechanical condition though. So all in all, I would say half of this tractor is because I wanted an old Farmall, and the other half is to have something functional so that I can get work done around the house. Someday I would like to find an old cub, (heck maybe even go on a wild goose chase to try and find the one my grandfather owned)....

/ Farmall 140 Questions? #33  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Would it be good to convert to 3 point? (If its possible)? - or if there is a kit )</font>

Some people like to convert to a quasi 3-point hitch.. really up to you.

You are almost there with your setup. Just gat a couple lower lift arms.. and them make side link arms, and find a spot for the toplink.

Some people make a rockshaft out of a pipe section as a pivot bushing and a rod goin thru it.. one side being driven from a push rod from the tractors built in rockshaft.

Soundguy