Farmall A - steering

/ Farmall A - steering #11  
I kinda wish mine had a sickle bar mower onit.. if it did.. I'd get into hobby hay...

that and perhaps a stationry bailer and a small rake... wouldn't bee too much cash to get into it.. etc..

soundguy

When my dad came back fromWWII, he bought the cub with hydraulic and we had a diversified small farm to go along with his teaching school. He put a buck rake on the front of the cub and used that to stack hay the old fashioned way. He was always reading and trying new things.

I kinda honored him when I still had cows (120 brood, became too much as I got older) with buying a completge Hesston stacker system (10 series) used. I big round baled, but I always stacked some if rain was threatening and cure was slow. One could then feed it back as a windrow with the processor to bail, or leave it as it was. Just coiuld not rick in the barns.

If I were into hobby hay stuff, I'd feed it to something and the cub could do some of it. Love my old cub, climbed on it to mow hay and cultivate corn after my 6th birthday... now that would be unheard of. Different world.

/ Farmall A - steering #12  
On the subject of Farmall A steering, I have a little more than an inch of side-to-side play in my steering gear arm and tie rod. Ergo, I have a boat-load of play in my steering wheel. Also there is some up and down play in the arm. I'm guessing its loose at the "steering worm wheel shaft", but I can't locate anything to tighten. Is it probably just worn, or is there a bolt I haven't found and can't reach?

/ Farmall A - steering #13  
I don't have that model.. buyt many of them have a sector adjustment stud to take up backlash.. however with that much play.. I'd think a thrust bearing was gone. at least that is what it would indicate in the stering boxes I'm familiar with. when you have that much sector gear play, the backlash gets huge.. thus the steering slop is way excessive.

soundguy

/ Farmall A - steering #14  
Also don't forget the zert behind the steering wheel, where the steering collum is supported.

/ Farmall A - steering #15  
good to grease it but it won't effect the steering slop he is seeing.

soundguy

/ Farmall A - steering #16  
I've a 41 Farmall Model A, I'm looking for a pittman streering arm. Anyone know where one might get one in good condition?
I can find them on ebay but they are pretty worn. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Skip

/ Farmall A - steering #17  
I could have sworn maybe 15 years ago I remember seeing new ones in parts catalogs. Looked everywhere I knew to look, and nothing. When Bates IH is just selling used one's the supply must have dried up. Looks like a good used replacement is about it, unless your's isn't beyond repair.

Below is a list of 26 Farmall A's for salvage. Might call one of those salvage yards, or, use the second link from the same site, and place a free "want to buy" ad. You'll need to register, and give contact info. Most always, those having the part you're looking for will respond within 36 hrs. Part number, and condition you want it in, is almost a must. Don't always take the first one offered, some may be closer, and be less on shipping. Still, with no photo, it's like buying a pig in a poke. Although I believe all have a return policy if your not satisfied with the part received.

Salvaged A's.
http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/dismantledsearch.aspx?ETID=3&Manu=INTERNATIONAL&Mdltxt=A&mdlx=exact

Link to main page. Want to buy link is in red column at left, third item down.
http://www.tractorhouse.com/Default.aspx#PartsSearchTag

Hope this helps.

/ Farmall A - steering #18  
Thanks Very much for the info, I'll try to find the part and go from there..

Thanks again.