FDOT certificates/CTQP

/ FDOT certificates/CTQP #1  

paulharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L285
I know it's not or barely counts as a related topic but there seems to a wealth of knowledge on here so here goes. Is anyone on here got some Fdot certs (earthwork 1/2; paving 1/2; ect). I have Asphalt Paving Tech-1, and my employer paid for a roughly $350-400 one day class and practical test. Now I'm told a lot of the certification can be done online and Free. So, I went through the Florida Department of Transportation website, registered, and after about 4 hours I took and passed Earthwork level-1; and I gives you a PDF certificate but.... When I pull up my CTQP training history, it doesn't list it. Anyone know if the computer class (Computer Based Training: CBT) counts as a real certification or if it's basically BS?

If these reallly count, I plan on getting all of the free ones; but if it's just BS I don't see the point in spending days at a computer screen.

/ FDOT certificates/CTQP #2  
<snip>
If these reallly count, I plan on getting all of the free ones; but if it's just BS I don't see the point in spending days at a computer screen.
Even if they do not count now they may become part of a requirement later.

Some people can't pass "online computer based" training. For some of us it's a breeze. A couple of years before I retired I "HAD" to have some credits in acquisition. Over the slow Christmas to New Years period I passed about 120 hours of credits on line, using two to three screens. I treated it like a game and just blew thru it. Then JUST before I retired I think some of those courses became mandatory, but I had already passed them.

/ FDOT certificates/CTQP #3  
Did you read all the FAQ's on the site?...you may have to forward a copy of the PDF cert to the board to be credited...?

/ FDOT certificates/CTQP
Well, I have an answer if it helps anyone else in the future. The online portion takes the place of the class, but you still have to take the real test with an actual instructor. So say roughly a $300 class and $100 test costs $100. As a note; it's easier to actually pay attention to something you already know in person than on computer; and they always have some bull that is never used in real life that is on the test. Don't see a whole lot of Speedy moisture tests done any more; and probably 20% of the question where specifically about how to do it.

I took Earthwork-I and I think it helped me get a job, as it looked like I was doing something towards my career rather then laying in the pool for the last month. Actually got 2 jobs, one with no truck and no benefits, making a dollar more an hour. And the other has a truck (take home) 401k and insurance. So I took that one. About 1h20m to work, but could be worse.