Feed mill questions

/ Feed mill questions #1  

leonz

Tractor
JD LA115, WH 244, Troy Built Horse 8 HP
Good morning fellow TBN board members,

I am searching for the name of a manufacturer or the names of manufacturer's of
stationary corn shellers used in feed mills with elevators and cob ejectors that
blew the shelled corn cobs into box cars.

Our many small local Grange League Federation/Agway feed mills had a small receiving pit at the
feed mill that the members used to dump their loads of unshelled corn cob for shelling
and grinding it for their farm use.

The feed mill employees had to raise and lower the metal cover over the receiving
pit with a chain falls to allow the single axle trucks or towed grain carts to dump their
loads into the hopper-I am a little fuzzy on this part because the receiving hopper was
under the long porch roof that was used to store bagged fertilizer during the warmer months.

The existing overhead door next to the receiving pit opened to allow trucks to back in and be
loaded with bagged animal feed and there was a chute for dumping bulk processed/milled cereal
grain or whole grain into a truck body from what I remember of it.

The more I think about this the mill had a pellet mill for compacting cereal grains into feed a
pellet concentrate that was delivered to the local dairies.

The big feed delivery trucks were diesel cab over engine trucks that had high sided dump bodies
that they used to deliver the concentrate pellets to the local dairies by connecting a delivery
hose to a pipe attached to the milking parlors exterior wall that had an elbow that went through
the milking parlors attic next to the milk tank room.

The delivery truck they used here had a high velocity turbine blower that blew the pellets through
the delivery pipe and connecting hose in by raising the dump bodies and allowing the concentrate
pellets to drop into the pipe that blew them into the attics of the milking parlor.

They had to be careful not to raise the dump box too high and too soon to prevent the pipe from
becoming clogged as the turbine was not very large and only able to provide enough high velocity
low pressure air volume to blow the pellets up into the attics or hopper bins slowly.

If the delivery pipe on the feed truck clogged they had to climb up into the truck body and dig out
the pellets by hand to remove the clog and open the delivery pipe.

From what I remember of the old mill the receiving hopper was directly in line with the
elevator tower and there was an auger in the bottom of the hopper to lift the cereal
grain and corn cob (I think) to either the hammer mill or stationary corn sheller.

They used an open mouth sack bagging system with air operated bag clamps to fill 100
pound burlap bags of animal feed and sew the bags shut with the bag sewing machines.
The new polyester bags had the quick open tear tabs-I am going back to 1968-1973 as
the burlap bags had a nickle deposit on them that was refunded when you returned the bags.

Thank much for helping me go back in time 56 years.

Last edited: