FEL lock/support when working on the tractor?

/ FEL lock/support when working on the tractor? #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
I'm not sure what you call these things but it's *not* the hydraulic lock lever that only locks out the FEL control arm and keeps it from moving.

I'm talking about something that will physically lock and/or support the FEL and it's structure up in the air while I'm working on the tractor engine.

Yesterday, I was working on adding weights to my front bumper grill guard. I had the FEL almost all the way up but was not willing to work on it unsupported. With some trouble, I was finally able to jam a 2x4 under one of the FEL supports on the left side. I got distracted after I was done working and closed up my shop with the FEL still in the air and still supported by the 2x4. This morning I walk into my shop and the 2x4 was pretty bent from the FEL dropping over night.

I'm looking for something that will be a) easier to install and b) far more robust in terms of actually supporting the FEL and it's structure in case of a catastrophic hydraulic failure while I'm working the tractor.

So, what are you guys using and what do you recommend?

Thanks,

/ FEL lock/support when working on the tractor? #2  
What I usually see is a channel or angle iron clamped to the exposed rod to prevent retraction.

Bruce

04ia036d.jpg 45980d1339457891-installing-car-lift-need-some-clever-ideas-equipmentlockstabalizerlock_10223374.jpg

/ FEL lock/support when working on the tractor? #3  
Over the years I have used multiple ways to insure a FEL will not drop when working on the front end or engine of a tractor. These have included using one of the FEL's on another tractor under the bucket of the tractor I am working on. Chaining the bucket to a overhead A-Frame. Chaining the bucket to a overhead I- beam in my barn. Chaining the bucket to a strong tree limb. In one case nothing else was available So I positioned a tractor close to a wall and had the raised bucket against the wall overhead with the tractor in the parked position.

/ FEL lock/support when working on the tractor? #4  
What I usually see is a channel or angle iron clamped to the exposed rod to prevent retraction.

Bruce

Thats what I do. Angle iron and a few hoseclamps to hold it on

/ FEL lock/support when working on the tractor?

Bruce

View attachment 422598 View attachment 422599

Ah ok, so a piece of 2" angle iron layed on top of the exposed rod end would do it, with perhaps a couple hose clamps to keep it in place. I get it.

One side enough or should I do both sides?

Thanks,

/ FEL lock/support when working on the tractor? #6  
When redoing the hydraulics to fit a dedicated three spool loader valve, I used a pair of 2X4s under the bucket. It took a second set of hands to let off the valve while the 2X's took the load, but I could not detect any sign of "over load".

Probably not the safest rig if one were working with things that could "bump" the "dead men" out from under the bucket, but that was not the case.

The "strut" on the lift cylinder is the OSHA Approved device. I would NOT use wood at that location. ;-)

eta

The Allied loader on the Hurlimann is placarded with instructions and warnings for the use of the swing in cylinder strut safety supports.
But the devices themselves are not fitted. I wish they were from time to time.

Last edited:
   / FEL lock/support when working on the tractor? #7  
Hose clamps under potential stress make me nervous. I would use a couple of hardware store U-bolts instead.

Bruce

/ FEL lock/support when working on the tractor? #8  
Hose clamps under potential stress make me nervous. I would use a couple of hardware store U-bolts instead.

Bruce

The hose clamps are under no stress. (unless you cut the ends of the angle iron crooked).

The hose clamps are only there to hole the angle in place. Once it has taken the load of the loader, the arent gonna move

/ FEL lock/support when working on the tractor? #9  
Speaking of anything fooling with the FEL lever while working. A buddy at work told, me recently that he had the FEL up in the air and was standing in the bucket working on some soffit when his son went inside to get a drink. Suddenly he heard his dad yelling and ran out. He has a goat that goes everywhere and does anything. The goat had jumped up on the tractor and was mouthing the hyd lever for the FEL. Dropped the dad down several feet. If the goat had done a "dump" move on the bucket it could have been bad for the dad. Nothing like have goat dump you out of a bucket and then dropping the bucket on you...ouch! Bet he doesn't get in there again!