Fescue Monoculture

/ Fescue Monoculture #1  

JimHam

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M8200DTC
I have 55 acres that is mostly grassland, former pasture and I have it enrolled in a conservation stewardship plan which means right now I cannot mow it until after Aug. 1. The grasses are fescue, orchard grass, switchgrass, lespedeza and some timothy. I mow about 2 acres around the barn and future house site and I get to it about three times a year because I live out of state right now. What I am seeing around the barnwhere I mow is that the fescue is taking over. I hope to start haying a good part of it when I retire and get settled there. My hobby is training and running labrador retrievers in hunt tests and field trials so I need a lot of open area. To maintain that open space I was going to have the hay cut off it. The problem is I do not want a fescue monoculture in my fields. I'm not a farmer but my grandfather and relatives are so I grew up working on the farm and helped put up a lot of hay but I don't know much about growing a good hay crop. I didn't think fescue was the best hay to feed. How do you folks that raise a lot of hay keep a diverse crop of different grasses for your hay? I want to combine wildlife cover and natural hay because right now I have a couple covies of quail on the property and want to provide a place for them too. Open to suggestions.

/ Fescue Monoculture
After doing some research I may have answered my own question. Kill the fescue and plant native prairie grasses; big bluestem, side oats grama, indiangrass, switchgrass. Only cut hay once a year in late june and cut 8 to 10 inches above ground. Burn the field in late april every third year. Don't use much, if any, nitrogen. problem solved!

/ Fescue Monoculture
Thanks for the info. I will check that out.