Field Fence

/ Field Fence #11  
Mike:

Another alternative would be to hire somebody to come in and drive those posts for you. They have hydraulic drivers that attach to a skid loader that will drive a blunt ended post straight down in about 5 minutes. Our place is mostly shale under a foot or so of soil and they drove all the posts down 4 feet with no problems. When they are done, the post is tight, no tamping or backfilling. Impressive to watch too. There are PTO driven drivers too, but they drop a weight on top of the post and are not as fast. Check with the local fence installers. Some will be willing to supply and drive the posts and leave the wire work to you. I was quoted about $4.00/post 2 years ago to drive 36 posts.

If you use 6 strands, you will need double end braces. We have 5 strands, and I've seen fewer around horses and cattle used successfully. They are not going to slip through the gaps. The presence of the fence presents a physical barrier and the shock makes them respect it.

The newer chargers don't pose nearly the maintenance and safety problems of the older ones. I don't charge the bottom wire and that really reduces the need for weed control around the fence. Another option is to use a single hot wire mounted on standoffs inside the main fence. This is about halfway up the fence, 4 inches or so away from the fence wires and is designed to get the animal's attention before it gets right up to the main fence. Being inside the fence, it is harder for kids to reach.

I've never had any radio/tv interference problems or complaints, but I have a good ground system. The charger is from Tractor Supply.

Check out http://www.kencove.com/stafix/contents.htm
There is a lot of good info on the Kencove site.

About wire being evil....BELIEVE IT!!!!

Good luck

Craig
Hershey,PA