Finally got Rotella 5W-40 in the 265 MF

/ Finally got Rotella 5W-40 in the 265 MF #1  

Gale Hawkins

Super Star Member
Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
When we got this about a year ago from wife's father I put Rotella 15W-40 in it but since have moved to standardize on the synthetic version of Rotella.

The box blade may be used for snow removal and with the 5W the oil should not be a starting issue. I had to drive to a different WM to find it in stock. The chain part stores have it but like $6 a gallon more for some reason.

Looks like winter weather is arriving and I had to do it between major rain storms today. Also got the dense grade rock smooth at church. In April the ground got like jello and I had to quit working it then there was no rain this summer but know it is looking good.

Actually the storms were helpful as they served as a huge level so I could see where water was standing so after each storm I worked moving rock to the pooling areas. The church lot is in a swappy area with little grade to shed the water.

Flowing dense grade (mill run) limestone almost works like concrete. We have had more hard rain after I finished tonight so hopefully tomorrow it will be one solid parking lot. I do not like leaving it loose and dusty

/ Finally got Rotella 5W-40 in the 265 MF #2  
Good choice the RTS will serve you well it's a fine oil, you may want to extend your OCI as this oil is well built and can go many hrs more vs conventional.

/ Finally got Rotella 5W-40 in the 265 MF #3  
I switched to synthetic 5w-40 rotellaT6 purchased at walmart and noticed that my engine temperature gauge reads a little lower than before. Did you notice any difference?

/ Finally got Rotella 5W-40 in the 265 MF
Good choice the RTS will serve you well it's a fine oil, you may want to extend your OCI as this oil is well built and can go many hrs more vs conventional.

I get such a buzz from changing oil in the tractors I will leave the OCI as is I expect.

I switched to synthetic 5w-40 rotellaT6 purchased at walmart and noticed that my engine temperature gauge reads a little lower than before. Did you notice any difference?

My gauges seem to vary too much to be for sure. Synthetic ATF did seem to drop temps about 10 degrees in the 4L80-e behind the 454 in the MH.

Right after I put the 5W-40 in the motorhome we when into east KY and got in some long hard pulls in first and second at WOT.

The entrance in to Kingdom Come KY State Park is 2 miles long with some 14 slopes. With the dash air on my top speed was about 15 MPH (I did not have to slow down for a switch back) for that two miles with the pedal to the metal. It was kissing the red on the temp gauge before we got to the top but never crossed into the red.

It would not start cooling down until after I cut the dash AC but then it returned to normal in about 5 minutes then we shut it down. I was glad we had a top rated synthetic in the 454 on that pull. With the AC dumping heat into the radiator and only the engine water pump fan moving air through the radiator with the engine making full power the oil temp had to be pretty high.

Not sure synthetic engine oil (no question on ATF) is required but it is proven it handles high temps better and who knows when one may have a problem that leads to high temp. :thumbsup:

/ Finally got Rotella 5W-40 in the 265 MF #7  
I get such a buzz from changing oil in the tractors I will leave the OCI as is I expect.
Thats totally up to you your probably waisting good oil though :) , how many hrs do you do?

Thats totally up to you your probably waisting good oil though :) , how many hrs do you do?

I agree it is kind of like Nascar racing, smoking and drinking but they can all give you a buzz at the time.:laughing:

Hours usually are around 100+. I guess it was just in my tired mind but it seemed to me with the Rotella T6 the sucker made less clatter at near idle. Having one oil for all four stroke engines on the place is making life more simple for an aging mind. :D

Since Rotella T6 flows well down to -30F I do not have to worry about cold start damage either.

When I get down to about two gallons at home at WM a $100 bill will get me 5 more.:thumbsup:

/ Finally got Rotella 5W-40 in the 265 MF #9  
I agree it is kind of like Nascar racing, smoking and drinking but they can all give you a buzz at the time.:laughing:

Hours usually are around 100+. I guess it was just in my tired mind but it seemed to me with the Rotella T6 the sucker made less clatter at near idle. Having one oil for all four stroke engines on the place is making life more simple for an aging mind. :D

Since Rotella T6 flows well down to -30F I do not have to worry about cold start damage either.

When I get down to about two gallons at home at WM a $100 bill will get me 5 more.:thumbsup:
:confused2: 100 hrs! triple that and the oil would still be fine for use :laughing:

but yea i hear i love changing oil also and if it gives you a piece of mind go for it you picked a fine oil that will perform in the summer time heat and winter time cold and that's easy to get. :thumbsup:

:confused2: 100 hrs! triple that and the oil would still be fine for use :laughing:

but yea i hear i love changing oil also and if it gives you a piece of mind go for it you picked a fine oil that will perform in the summer time heat and winter time cold and that's easy to get. :thumbsup:

I do not ever change oil because it is not fine for use as lube for the engine but the chemicals that form in it. True they are to small to cause wear but after a year of start and stop use some manuals say change based on time at least.

Now if I was putting 100 hours a week on it I am not sure I would be changing it every 7 days.