Finished log splitter

/ Finished log splitter #1  

moose13

Bronze Member
Tractor
none
Tried this guy out today and it runs great.
Pretty fast too about 16 second cycle time. As fast as i want to work.
Thanks to you guys for all your help with the hydraulics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN4187.JPG
    DSCN4187.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 1,751
  • DSCN4188.JPG
    DSCN4188.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 1,471
  • DSCN4189.JPG
    DSCN4189.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 1,511
  • DSCN4190.JPG
    DSCN4190.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 1,418
   / Finished log splitter #2  
Looks good. That height looks good too. Once the log is up there, it is easy on your back. I run my splitter up on car ramps to get that height.

/ Finished log splitter
Looks good. That height looks good too. Once the log is up there, it is easy on your back. I run my splitter up on car ramps to get that height.

Yeah, i almost bought one till i learned the working height was 16" :thumbdown:

I am 6'4" and that would have killed my back. This one is set up quite high,
probably too high for most. Comfortable for me.:thumbsup:

/ Finished log splitter #4  
Nicely built!! What do you figure your cost of materials was?
Jim

/ Finished log splitter
Nicely built!! What do you figure your cost of materials was?
Jim
I had the steel, axle and wheels / tires already.
I still have about $1200 in this guy.
I kicked around buy vs. build and knew there was no savings compared to the "consumer" models. But building your own you can add some good upgrades for the same price. This has a commercial Honda GX 200cc and 13.6 gpm pump. All models in this price range i have seen have the B&S 160cc and 11gpm pump.
I kicked the tires on a few models and was not impressed. Pretty plasticky and not very well built IMHO. I am sure they work fine, but i had the steel and the time so why not. It also is built to fit, i am 6'4" and needed one a bit taller than most. It was a fun project and glad i went this route:thumbsup:

/ Finished log splitter #6  
moose,cool splitter,huge hydro tank plenty capacity,good working height.just a thought ,maybe when uv,e used it a bit consider adding loglifter/workbench? mine works by steel cable from pusher plate to pulley clear of the wedge to loglifter using return stroke of splitter.quick hooks attach both ends,gravity dropleg aligns when lifter is horizontal.cheap but effective.i havehad 1 hip replaced 12mths ago,next hip due november 2011,,wore out prem from too much football and heavy lifting as ayoung buck,paying for it now though.wood getting is in my blood,u gota make it easier as u only have one body .i would,nt be without my lifter,i move slower but still get the job done.let your splitter do the bending not ur back.i wish i made one years ago ,instead of relying on brute strength. remember 'your here for a good time,not a long time;;

/ Finished log splitter
Good point Grub.
My wood trailer sits a few inches taller than this splitter.
The plan is too have the kids roll me the chunks directly from the trailer to the splitter with no need to lift anything. Park next to the wood pile and stack as we go. But yeah someday i think i will add the log lift.

/ Finished log splitter #8  
Looks good :thumbsup:

I guess it's really a compromise, which is harder on the back. bending over or lifting heavy rounds. Most of the wood I split is difficult to roll under my vertical splitter, it's so big, so there is no way I could use a horizontal splitter. My splitter allows for both horizontal and vertical, I've never even tried it horizontal, just put it in that position to move and store it.

But I do understand, it's a pain in the back bending over like that, using it vertical. We usually do it with 2 people, the one handling the wood sits on a round.

JB

/ Finished log splitter #9  
looks real nice. and very well finished