Firewooding aids

/ Firewooding aids #11  
Man, those new ones are sure purdy.

I don't know the gearing of the 3PH conversion gearbox, but I run mine at fairly low engine RPM. I'm way under 540 and the saw just flywheels through what I feed it. Mine is very good on fuel.

/ Firewooding aids #12  
Here is the newest version of the Buzz Saw. I ahve this model hard to believe I paid 450 dollars in 1989 its now 1400. But its a good investemtn over the years..
Vermont Woodsman Buzz Saw

If yours is in good condition, I'd pay you back every one of those four hundred and fifty dollars you paid for it new ! ;)

/ Firewooding aids #13  
Thanks for the offer. I actually looked at it a year ago and thought,I only use it maybe once a year for a couple hours so maybe id get rid of it. thinking id be lucky to get more than half what I paid. Then I saw it online and said nope ill keep it.
Interestingly,Mine is kept inside a shed. and my neighbors is outside on the dirt, What a difference it makes....

/ Firewooding aids #14  
turnkey- I like how you made that sawbuck. Can you post more pics how it was made/works? That looks like something I'd like to make for me and my father.

/ Firewooding aids
turnkey- I like how you made that sawbuck. Can you post more pics how it was made/works? That looks like something I'd like to make for me and my father.

I'll try for some closeups tomorrow. Not much to it. I also have some pics of the way others copied it.

Harry K

/ Firewooding aids

I see I already had a close-up:

sawbuck4.jpg

Frames made of 1 1/2"x1 1/2" Angle irons, drilled for 1/4" lag screw clearance. Drill one and use it as guide for the others. They must be very close to exact or it won't fold. 2 2x6 on edge with frames mounted with fairly long (don't recall) 1/4" lag bolts left "rattling" loose.

Size the frames to your bar lenght. I used a 14" inside dimension for my 20" bar. Probably could have pushed it to 16".

I built that a manylong years ago and about chopped the 2x6s in half by the time I retired it. I was heating with Willow back then and found that limbs that size just weren't worth the effort.

Recently the Locust Borer began killing off the locusts in this area - one of the top four firewood species on any list. That stuff I save the small stuff!

I later added 1x4" boards across the frames at the bottom to give a bit more room when the saw comes through the bottom of the stack. Still nick the 2x6 occasionally.

In use it is very important to have a sharp chain and be sure that the top log(s) are securely placed. At the start of the cut a loosely laid one on top will try to climb right over the upright.

One of the nice things about it is that the stacks of cut wood pretty much stay in there for easy picking up.

Last edited:
   / Firewooding aids
Edit function doesn't seem to be working.

Adding: Be sure the spacing along the 2x6 are also exact or it won't fold. Mine are spaced 16" OC starting at 8" on the right end. Extra long limbs hang out the left side and can be either eyeballed for cutting or the cut-off lengths added to the next load up.