First 50hr maintenance on a L45

/ First 50hr maintenance on a L45 #1  

Ducati07

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L45 TLB
I just wanted to throw something out that may help somebody else with their maintenance. This was coved in a previous post and is where I got the idea. I've got the L45 TLB.

I bought the filters from Kubota and they only gave me one suction filter...had to go back because it takes two! And another for the HST. So, you will need four filters total. The mechanic said there are no tricks to loosing the oil on the right side (the suction), and to just be ready with clean 5 gallon buckets to catch as much as I can, then just dump it back in. I had another plan.

I used the vacuum method. I put a red shop rag over the round opening on my 5hp sears shop vac. So it was sucking through the rag. Just a single layer of the rag, then bunched the remaining rag around the vacuum tube. The rag helped build a seal and hopefully, would prevent or slow...sucking any oil up. When I started unscrewing the filter, my friend placed the vacuum over the fill spout and turned on the vacuum.

The ONLY oil I lost was in the old filter because I was in FULL PANIC and I dropped it. Hardly a drop came out of the tractor! It worked great for both filters on the suction which made me the happiest tractor guy in town! Left side was done without the vacuum and only lost what was in the filter.

I highly suggest using the method on changing filters if your not going to change the fluid.

Thanks to whoever wrote the post I read earlier!

/ First 50hr maintenance on a L45 #2  
Thanks and good timing. I just went to the dealer yesterday to pick up the supplies I need for the 50hour service.

/ First 50hr maintenance on a L45 #3  
You are correct!! I posted a couple of years ago about the vacuum trick A LOT of disbelievers!! They want to use a rubber plug! Never! Any how, I suggested a bikini clad woman to hold the vacuum in place!!:shocked:

/ First 50hr maintenance on a L45 #4  
they want 500.00 to do my 50 hour service, this is a cool trick i will try. how many filters total do you need and what are they? i was pleased to see they seem to come with super udt 2 now.

/ First 50hr maintenance on a L45 #5  
I don't have my manuals with me, but IIRC, the 50 hr service includes
1) change engine oil and filter
2) replace HST filter (1)
3) replace transmission filters (2)
4) replace fuel filter

/ First 50hr maintenance on a L45
$500...what a rip off!

Do it yourself and spend the saved money on something else. It's not any harder than changing engine oil in a truck. The only thing is that does take two people. Two filters on the right, one on the left. You can't miss them if you crawl under and take a look.

You would think that for the price we paid for these tlb's...they'd throw in the 50hr maintenance for free! I know it's different but my wife's bmw gets ALL maintenance for FREE for 100k miles...now that's customer service!

/ First 50hr maintenance on a L45 #7  
they beat the heck out of the other close dealer on price to purchase but this is a little nuts. i guess if the replace the 12 gallons or so of super udt 2, put synthetic oil in the engine and replace all the filter i can see that getting close to the price. but the manual / service chart does not have a say to change the fluid until 400 hours. they also want to charge 100 bones for pick up / delivery, i can haul it but it puts my old trailer to its limit. CFO said heck no on a new trailer, management gets upset when i operate off the complex and im not available for instant response to any issue that she may need.
i purchased the synthetic rotella tonight and will get the filters tomorrow. i will do the job tomorrow and post info for the next l45 new owner.

/ First 50hr maintenance on a L45 #8  
done with no issues really, i had a small shop vac i never use and it worked perfect. i did not have to modify anything or use a rag, the hose fit right in the hole. i will have to admit that is the first time i have ever heard a sucking noise when pulling a filter off. it took 6 quarts to top off after the filter change, i did not dump the the filters out as that seems kinda counter productive.
HERE is the break down, saved me 250 plus another 100 for them to pick it up
1 HHTA0-59900 HST FILTER 68.59
2 HHTAO-37710 FILTER ASSY 48.58 EACH
1 HH164-32430 OILL FILTER 11.88
2 70000-40201 SUDT2 1 GAL 22.95 EACH

bad thing is i found a couple leaks they need to take care of both are on items added by the dealer. ugg dang the luck

/ First 50hr maintenance on a L45 #9  
I sure wish I had read this thread before I discovered the vacuum trick. My dealer also sold me one suction filter. I'm not thrilled about having to drive 188 miles round trip for a filter, and replacement fluid.