First Oil Change

/ First Oil Change #11  
I have the 3223d with the Briggs diesel. Great engine.

I changed the oil with Mobil 1 and used the dealer oil filter. In case anyone is interested the following filters work for this engine as well, Wix 51394, Amsoil 51394, Purolator L14476 and Fram PH4967.:)

That is a great engine, the 850D is far and away 10x better than the 950D for some reason....also which Mobil 1 did you use...your not supposed to use Mobil 1 in that engine. I use Mobil Delvac 1, its only available in 5w40,its the right oil ,much heavier duty and basically the same price..can be found at truck stops and walmart as Mobil One truck/SUV diesel oil...

/ First Oil Change #12  
That is a great engine, the 850D is far and away 10x better than the 950D for some reason....also which Mobil 1 did you use...your not supposed to use Mobil 1 in that engine. I use Mobil Delvac 1, its only available in 5w40,its the right oil ,much heavier duty and basically the same price..can be found at truck stops and walmart as Mobil One truck/SUV diesel oil...

Thanks for the info. Getting ready to change the oil again. I will look for the heavier weight oil this time.

/ First Oil Change #13  
Hello

I looked at the Briggs manual for this engine and it indicates Synthetic 5w-30 may be used for all temperatures. I use this tractor in the winter quite a bit which was one reason I wanted to stick with 5w-30. Please see attachment from manual. Sorry the scan is not better.

Perhaps in the hot weather I should be using 10w-40 as someone recommended.:confused:

/ First Oil Change #14  
Hello

I looked at the Briggs manual for this engine and it indicates Synthetic 5w-30 may be used for all temperatures. I use this tractor in the winter quite a bit which was one reason I wanted to stick with 5w-30. Please see attachment from manual. Sorry the scan is not better.

Perhaps in the hot weather I should be using 10w-40 as someone recommended.:confused:

First off Ive never seen a 10w40 diesel oil....good luck finding it, just use 5w40 synthetic year round,nothing is better,and its readily available...

More important than the weight being 5w30....make sure the API letter starts with a C ...do not use oil that starts with an S!!! If you put regular car oil in it (API S) ,get it out ASAP...it isnt meant for diesels,and doesnt have the durability needed to protect your diesel engine.This is what matters...and 5w40 full synthetic oil outperforms 5w30,and is suitable for all climates,also much more readily available than 5w30 C oil....

FYI Kohler Command oil is 10w30 diesel oil,and most small engine shops sell it,look at the API label first letter is a C,so its good to use in the diesel.It isnt synthetic though.