First Tractor Purchase.... HELP!

/ First Tractor Purchase.... HELP! #1  

ncbowhunter

Tractor
New Holland
Well I let the used 2015 NH Workmaster 40 slip through my hands so I'm back to square one.... looking at New Models Now....

I am searching for a tractor to fit my needs.... I'm a homeowner that maintains 3 acres of vacant land (bushhog)(This is in addition to my 5 acre yard that I mow with a zero turn mower.) I have 2 hunting leases (154 & 386 acres) that I maintain (bushogging, foodplots, etc). I have been paying someone to maintain most of my needs up to this point, so I want to pull the trigger on a tractor soon.

With a budget in mind, I was torn between purchasing a used MF 135, 235, or 230 in the 4k -/+ range (cash deal), or pulling the big trigger and purchasing a new tractor with loader in the (18 - 25k range).

As many have said I want to buy my 2nd tractor... 1st.... Here are some minimum requirements:

- Hydro Transmission
- Loader
- 40hp -/+
- Kioti, LS, New Holland, Kubota, TYM
- Will be pulled by a 1/2 ton Chevrolet Silverado

I am looking bang for the buck.... I realize a dealer is a big part of the equation to most people, but I would like to remove that piece from the conversation.... I don't plan to treat my tractor rough.... just normal use.... garage kept, etc....

Any help is greatly appreciated.... reliability, cost, and resale (in that order) into consideration.... which brand and model would you recommend me?.....

Thanks!

/ First Tractor Purchase.... HELP! #2  
The best way to shop for tractors is to list your tasks first, then determine how much bare tractor weight you need to SAFELY accomplish your tasks. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites.

Tractor chassis weight is more important than tractor horsepower. This tractor fundamental is difficult for people new to tractors to comprehend.

Heavier tractors have more tractive power pulling ground contact implements. Greater mass of heavy-chassis tractors increases tractor stability when transporting loads in the FEL bucket, the most rollover prone of routine tractor tasks.

Hillside work demands more tractor weight than flat land work. Heavier tractors have wider wheel spreads making them less laterally unstable. Rear wheel spreads are variable for width. Heavier tractors have larger wheels and tires better able to bridge holes, ruts and downed tree limbs, yielding a smoother, less disturbing passage over rough ground.

Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Budget will eliminate some choices. Collect a dealer brochure for each tractor model in your weight range. I spreadsheet tractor and implement specs, often a revealing exercise. I have a column for cost per pound.

Tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight are offered in one configuration. Most, such as the high volume kubota standard L series, are sparely equipped to hit competitive price points. Others, such as the Yanmar YT235 and Kubota B2650/B3350 series, include enhanced productivity and comfort components.

Most tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight are operated in residential applications on one to five fairly flat acres. These "residential tractors" fit in a typical garage.

Tractors over 3,000 pounds bare weight are generally offered in a utilitarian configuration and a deluxe configuration, on a common chassis. Deluxe kit enhances productivity and operating comfort ~~~ but you have to pay.
Many tractors over 3,000 pounds are too tall to fit in a typical garage, even with ROPS folded.

It takes a 50% increase in tractor weight before you notice a significant tractor capability increase. It takes a 100% increase in tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling multiple light implements in order to buy heavier, wider, implements for a heavier tractor is a pain and often a big hit in depreciation. ((Ask me how I know.)) Some who buy too light tractors buy too light implements.

A quality dealer, reasonably close, is a priority for me; less so for others, well experienced with tractors, who do their own maintenance. For most new to tractors a quality dealer, reasonably close, available for coaching, is important. My kubota dealer is six miles away. I feel my local dealer continues to add value to my equipment.

Horsepower is a primary consideration only operating PTO powered implements.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR.​

Last edited:
   / First Tractor Purchase.... HELP! #4  
I settled on a 2610 sized Kioti for my needs and am very happy with it but looked a them all that had dealers in my area.

Sounds to me like the main thing for you is transportability so you do not want to get so big that you cannot haul it. That narrows it down a bit. And Im not sure that one you missed on wasn't as big as you could have gotten away with there. And perhaps your size needs are a tad less than that.

That said if I were to look again and if I had a good dealer i would go back to Kioti, LS, Yanmar and Kubota as my first 4 to "strongly consider again" group. I could have been happy with all of those. For one reason or another, primarily the dealer strength and longevity of his business with them, I went with Kioti.

/ First Tractor Purchase.... HELP! #5  
Well I let the used 2015 NH Workmaster 40 slip through my hands so I'm back to square one.... looking at New Models Now....

I am searching for a tractor to fit my needs.... I'm a homeowner that maintains 3 acres of vacant land (bushhog)(This is in addition to my 5 acre yard that I mow with a zero turn mower.) I have 2 hunting leases (154 & 386 acres) that I maintain (bushogging, foodplots, etc). I have been paying someone to maintain most of my needs up to this point, so I want to pull the trigger on a tractor soon.

With a budget in mind, I was torn between purchasing a used MF 135, 235, or 230 in the 4k -/+ range (cash deal), or pulling the big trigger and purchasing a new tractor with loader in the (18 - 25k range).

As many have said I want to buy my 2nd tractor... 1st.... Here are some minimum requirements:

- Hydro Transmission
- Loader
- 40hp -/+
- Kioti, LS, New Holland, Kubota, TYM
- Will be pulled by a 1/2 ton Chevrolet Silverado

I am looking bang for the buck.... I realize a dealer is a big part of the equation to most people, but I would like to remove that piece from the conversation.... I don't plan to treat my tractor rough.... just normal use.... garage kept, etc....

Any help is greatly appreciated.... reliability, cost, and resale (in that order) into consideration.... which brand and model would you recommend me?.....

Thanks!

If you are in Washington, NC look up TBN member Daugen. He normally hangs out in the "Good Morning" thread. I think he knows every dealer there and has gotten in the habit of buying a tractor for most every implement.

/ First Tractor Purchase.... HELP! #6  
I am not too sure I would want to be pulling a 40hp tractor and loader with a 1/2 ton pick-up.

/ First Tractor Purchase.... HELP! #7  
I am not too sure I would want to be pulling a 40hp tractor and loader with a 1/2 ton pick-up.

I agree. Depending on specific attachments, and what trailer you have, you're looking at 9-10K lbs in trailer weight. Even it it's only short trips, that bears some thoughtful planning.

/ First Tractor Purchase.... HELP!

Yeah and I didn't mention it but my hunting leases are just under 2 hours from home....

/ First Tractor Purchase.... HELP! #9  
Because you are hauling it and because you want to run a bushhog the most versatile tractor that I have personally owned to fit your needs would be a Kubota B7800. It has a 30hp motor and can run a 5ft bushhog. I ran a 72" Landpride RFM with it with no problems.

Even with a loader it is a Sub 2400lb tractor and you could just leave your bushog at the land and only transport the tractor. Get a tandom axle trailer and your probably under 4,500 lbs which is very doable for your pickup. They also have decent ground clearance for woods. Just a great tractor IMO>

TractorHouse.com | KUBOTA B78HSD For Sale

/ First Tractor Purchase.... HELP! #10  
A Kubota L3901 or Yanmar YT235 might be good options for you. Big enough to get the job done yet light enough to trailer with a half ton.