Fixing a leak at the steering pivot on John Deere 750

/ Fixing a leak at the steering pivot on John Deere 750 #1  

Torgo

Tractor
1988 John Deere 750
First post here.

I recently noticed a lot of fluid leaking from the front axle housing. I tracked it down to the big round seal at the steering pivot (#20) on the RH side. Arrows are pointing at same location for reference.

120221008_074850.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-26 155428.png

According to service manual, it looks really easy to access. Simply remove four bolts and drop the tire/hub assembly down, replace seal, insert assembly and torque four bolts.

Screenshot 2022-10-06 103037.png

It looks like the vertical portion of the drive is keyed on one end or the other and just slides in/out. Is it really this simple? Any tips or tricks to complete this repair?

I already have the seal. Just waiting for a little time and a second set of hands to go help me with it.

/ Fixing a leak at the steering pivot on John Deere 750 #2  
First post here.

I recently noticed a lot of fluid leaking from the front axle housing. I tracked it down to the big round seal at the steering pivot (#20) on the RH side. Arrows are pointing at same location for reference.

View attachment 774290

View attachment 774292

According to service manual, it looks really easy to access. Simply remove four bolts and drop the tire/hub assembly down, replace seal, insert assembly and torque four bolts.

View attachment 774294

It looks like the vertical portion of the drive is keyed on one end or the other and just slides in/out. Is it really this simple? Any tips or tricks to complete this repair?

I already have the seal. Just waiting for a little time and a second set of hands to go help me with it.
Yep, its how Yanmar engineered it. It's a simple job.

As for the 'lead hammer' a good hard mallet is best to use. These Yanmar made CUT Deere's are 40 years old. Breaking anything as important as this would be a headache finding OE parts. Use Deep Creep to loosen the area up. Even the bolts. PB Blaster isn't going to get in tight high torqued bolted locations like Liquid Wrench or Deep Creep.

When you torque up the bolts. criss-cross pattern in 3 stages. 1 position parts and finger snug tight equally, then socket wrench, then socket torque wrench till the proper In-LBS or FT-LBS or Nm requirements. Deere is English and Yanmar manuals are in Nm metric for this job.

/ Fixing a leak at the steering pivot on John Deere 750
Nice! Thanks for the reply.

I take it they mean a lead dead-blow hammer but I'm not sure. Those have a softer face. I have that and a mallet that I can gently try.

I've never hear of those penetrating oils so I'll grab one of them.

/ Fixing a leak at the steering pivot on John Deere 750 #4  
I have the same issue on my 750. Thanks to both of you! Where can I get a service manual like that?