Chains Fixing Broken Roller Chain

/ Fixing Broken Roller Chain #11  
I would also check your shear pin.. The shear pin should have sheared before the chain broke. The may have put a stronger pin in.
Bill

/ Fixing Broken Roller Chain
Thanks for the suggestions. I think getting a brand new chain makes the most sense. I like the idea of eliminating the unknown.

/ Fixing Broken Roller Chain #13  
G'day as you have decided a new chain is the best way to go but take the old chain with you because as others have said you may or may not have a size stamped on your link also don't measure the length of the chain count the number of links. I have seen chain stretched by more than a link when it is old and you can find yourself with not enough adjustment for your new chain.

Jon

/ Fixing Broken Roller Chain
I counted the number of links and cut the new chain at the exact same number. Putting the new chain on was a bear. It was hard to get the master link in due to no room to operate. Wouldn't you know it, the chain is too long. Now I have to remove another link. I think this time I'm going to get one of those chain holders before trying to put it back together.

/ Fixing Broken Roller Chain #15  
I counted the number of links and cut the new chain at the exact same number. Putting the new chain on was a bear. It was hard to get the master link in due to no room to operate. Wouldn't you know it, the chain is too long. Now I have to remove another link. I think this time I'm going to get one of those chain holders before trying to put it back together.

They make 1/2 links too,if you dont need to take out a whole one.If you dont have the chain tightening tool,try to put it togeather on the sprocket if you can,the teeth help hold it together so you can slip the master in.I like the repair links with the clips vs the little tiny cotter pins
ALAN