fixing munged thread on hose coupling

/ fixing munged thread on hose coupling #1  

SGBotsford

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deuzt 6250 + Kubota 7100
Changing a hydraulic hose on my deutz. Had to take one hose off to get at the troubled one. Putting it back on I cross threaded it.

Now I realized something was wrong, and only put 1/6 of a turn on it. Back up, and I had a fine metal filing on both sets of threads. Broke that off.

But it still won't go on. I can see one bump on the very start of the thread on the female part, maybe 15 thou across.

Can I just put a fine abrasive bit on my dremmel, and carve that away?

I can't feel anything on the male thread, but it's not where I can see more than half of it.

Ideas?

/ fixing munged thread on hose coupling #2  
I would be cautious on using a dremel unless you are 100% certain that all of the grinding dust is removed from fitting.

A technique that I have used if the fitting is visible and accessible is to gently start screwing the fitting together and then tap it gently on the side help align the threads. patience with a little "dumb" luck is usually the best method.

/ fixing munged thread on hose coupling #3  
An I.D. (Inner Diameter) Thread-file, may be a better choice. I have several of both inch & metric thread pitches, that have come in very handy for buggered up threads.
Harbor freight, McMaster-Carr, Grainger & others carry them.

Shadow99

/ fixing munged thread on hose coupling #4  
An I.D. (Inner Diameter) Thread-file, may be a better choice. I have several of both inch & metric thread pitches, that have come in very handy for buggered up threads.
Harbor freight, McMaster-Carr, Grainger & others carry them.

Shadow99

All the thread files I own work on the O.D. (external) threads. For I.D. (internal) threads I'd use a tap.

A very small triangle file will work on any 60 degree V thread as well....on external (O.D.) threads.