flat battery on kubotaL4200

/ flat battery on kubotaL4200
Hi Chaps,

I had the tractor running in the drive shed for about three hours and simply got on with my morning chores and looked into the shed every 10 to 15 minutes to check for the warning light. In that time I only saw it flicker on once or twice. I did have the alligator clip on the glow plug and the probe sitting on a rubber mat ready to use, the voltmeter was at hand but there was never an opportunity to use it. In the past while I've been working on the tractor the orange light has been on for prolonged spells, perhaps up to half an hour. The circuit tester only lit up when the glow plug light was on and it appeared to flicker much the same as the glow plug light did. I did replace the relay a while back and the same problem persisted.

I have not got a wiring diagram and my search on the internet failed to find one that I was certain pertained to the L4200 so I'm thinking of going down to the dealership and acquiring one and perhaps finding out about the controller business if there is somebody available. I checked the battery and it was fully charged after three hours of idling so I'm fairly convinced that the drainage only occurs when the glow plug light is on for prolonged spells. Frankly I was surprised that the light stayed off for such a long time, that has not been the usual case when I've been working with the tractor.

Cheers, Luath

/ flat battery on kubotaL4200 #22  
Sitting still idling could be why it rarely lights, compared to while working on it and it's bumping and vibrating (causing the short). It sounds like a controller/timer, or the ignition switch.

/ flat battery on kubotaL4200 #23  
I cant add much other than to say that if these plugs are coming on for a long spell you risk them melting in the engine and tips of them falling off causing piston damage etc
I dont know the configuration of that engine but on many diesels ive had that was always a risk if over priming them.

/ flat battery on kubotaL4200 #24  
Hi Chaps,

I had the tractor running in the drive shed for about three hours and simply got on with my morning chores and looked into the shed every 10 to 15 minutes to check for the warning light. In that time I only saw it flicker on once or twice. I did have the alligator clip on the glow plug and the probe sitting on a rubber mat ready to use, the voltmeter was at hand but there was never an opportunity to use it. In the past while I've been working on the tractor the orange light has been on for prolonged spells, perhaps up to half an hour. The circuit tester only lit up when the glow plug light was on and it appeared to flicker much the same as the glow plug light did. I did replace the relay a while back and the same problem persisted.

I have not got a wiring diagram and my search on the internet failed to find one that I was certain pertained to the L4200 so I'm thinking of going down to the dealership and acquiring one and perhaps finding out about the controller business if there is somebody available. I checked the battery and it was fully charged after three hours of idling so I'm fairly convinced that the drainage only occurs when the glow plug light is on for prolonged spells. Frankly I was surprised that the light stayed off for such a long time, that has not been the usual case when I've been working with the tractor.

Cheers, Luath

Luath

I found the following post from several years ago which gives a good description of the parts that serve to control the glow plugs;

"On the Grand L's (similar - maybe identical glow plug control) the starter switch is turned until the glow plug indicator comes on and then later goes off, then the switch is turned further to start.

The parts list for the L3600 shows a timer T0070-31410 ($72) and a controller 16415-65660 ($62) These two are mounted back-to-back to the glow plug relay 16415-65600 ($26). All three pieces are mounted with 2 bolts inside the body behind the dash panel on the right side. The coolant temperature sender on the engine might be the problem - 16415-83040 ($23).

Depending on what's defective, a simple glowplug/starter switch without any relays or timers might be a cheaper fix. The older kubota models used a simple 3-position switch to send power to the glow plugs and/or the starter. The L345 switch is 37150-32200 ($35) plus knob 37150-32210 ($5) - It is wired direct to the glow plugs in one position and in the other it powers the starter circuit too. (On these models the glow plugs also get power whenever the starter runs)

Kubota parts lists are available by email from Tractorsmart.com "

Going to Messicks site might provide the detail relevant to your exact model.

Dave M7040

Hi chaps,

Went to the Kubota dealership and the service guy was confident the issue was to do with the glow plug controller. I picked one up today and changed it out. I turned the ignition key and the orange light came on for a moment and then went off with a (reassuring?) click. Tried it a few times, same thing and all seemed well. I'll take it out for a run and see what happens.

Cheers Luath

Hi Chaps,

Tractor running nicely now and no obvious issues. Many thanks for your input, particularly DaveM7040 for your clarity and patience.

Cheers,
Luath

/ flat battery on kubotaL4200 #27  
Luath
It is not often that one Canadian gets to help another on this forum.
It is always nice when those needing help provide an update on the problem. Thank you for doing this!
Too often, once their problem is solved, the forum member just disappears.
Dave M7040