Tires Foam for the front tires?

/ Foam for the front tires?
Right now my tires are okay, tractor is only a year old (120 hrs or so), but the lava over on this side of Washington is starting to cut them up a bit, especially when it is wet outside. I expect my R4s won't last near as long as some others that just had to deal with dirt. Then it will be time t look at recaps.

/ Foam for the front tires? #22  
I have foam in the front of M5400 & would not have a loader tractor with out it. Nothing ruins a weekend job like a flat. I just wish I could afford to foam the rears but the want nearly a grand a each.

/ Foam for the front tires?
Powerstroke

Quite a bit of my tractor use is with the FEL and will be for the next few years so that was good to know. Thanks

/ Foam for the front tires? #24  
Can you get tires that have been foam filled of the rim to replace them? If so, do they have to cut them off? Otherwise, I guess you have buy new rims? Ouch, that would be an added cost to consider.

/ Foam for the front tires? #25  
Foam filled tires can be removed from the steel rim with some difficulty, cleaned up, and the rims reused. The individual would have to decide which way to go, reuse or new.

(Just put a little brake fluid or better yet thinner on the rubber to eat it off.) Sorry, the devil made me do it!!!

Foam is pretty expensive for rear tires in situations where there is fast tire wear.

I was unaware that tires could be retreaded while filled with foam and mounted on the wheel. That could be an economical move if that service is available in your area.

Unless you are getting large punctures in your front tires in severe (loader?) service (larger than Slime and such can plug) then Slime is an excellent inexpensive alternative to foam fill. Slime will handle all the small punctures from thorns, nails, and similar sized problems. In general if a standard tire path (not a boot) will fix it, so will slime. With Slime you can dismount the tire, clean out the Slime, and send through ordinary recap process.

Pat

/ Foam for the front tires? #26  
I am still working on the cost of that for my fronts. The guy at Les Schwab asked me to email pictures of my tires to him from my cell phone. He was going to get back to me if they were candidates for retread. Yes foam filled can be taken off of steel rims. He showed me where they had cut them off the rims. It is more labor intensive. If I can save the cost of new tires that I was quoted at about $550 and that is not even with calcium chloride or foam I will do it. The foam would add about $200 to the cost. Then retreading and foam seems like it would save me money. Especially if I retread more than once. Right now the odds of wearing down the fronts is slim. The odds of getting a flat are good up in the woods with little Punji type sticks and stumps.
Jim

/ Foam for the front tires? #27  
I foam filled the front tires on my old B2910 and was very happy with it. I originally did it to prevent flats since I seems to be getting them every week, but the extra weight in the front was right there as a reason as well. It's a bit stiffer ride, but I actually liked the extra stiffness for loader work.

The stuff is made by Arnco Arnco Flatproofing, Fill it and Forget it. They have redone their web site so it doesn't tell you anything anymore, but the product is available through various tire dealers. It's probably what your Les Schwab tire chain is using.

I agree the cost is high - mine were $100+ each for 8.50x12 R4's if I recall the size correctly.

/ Foam for the front tires? #28  
Hey thanks for that link. Now I have an idea of what it may cost versus what Les Schwab will quote for my tires. I haven't heard back from them yet after I sent pictures of my front tires to see if they can be retreaded then filled with foam.
Jim