Tires Foam Instead of Fluid in Tires

/ Foam Instead of Fluid in Tires #1  

Maineiac

Bronze Member
Tractor
LB1914
I was looking at another forum on this topic, but I wanted to ask here where I know folks and trust their opinions. What's the story with filling tires with foam? Is the weight gain comparable to fluid? I need the extra weight and I'd like the peace of mind of no flats--not that I live in a "flat-prone" area.
Can I foam my tires myself?
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

/ Foam Instead of Fluid in Tires #2  
We have foam filled tires at work on our 544 jd payloader. These are big tires. Foam adds about 700lbs per tire. It might go in as foam but it looks like solid silicone if you cut the tire open. It is a firmer ride with foam. As far as how they do it, you lay the tire on its side and insert through the valve stem or drill through the tread and inject it. let it harden and put them back on. As far as doing it yourself, can't help you there.

/ Foam Instead of Fluid in Tires
Tom: Thanks. I think I've got the same basic rig as you. LB1914 TLB. I've got the "Kioti" hoe. I'd love to figure out if I can do the foam myself. The comfort of the ride isn't really an issue.

I guess I can just "Google" tire foam and see what I get. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Foam Instead of Fluid in Tires #5  
I know with foam you have to get just the right amount or you will ruin the tire.. The foam will expand and is cures so you have to put in the exact right amount... can be tricky from what I hear....

/ Foam Instead of Fluid in Tires #6  
I believe this is something that can only be done at a tire dealer. Where I work, we foam filled the tires on a large tractor, (ag tires, fronts only) due to numerous flats before. The foam took care of the flats because I do believe it turns solid or something close to a solid material. The weight is probably similar to liquid. We were told that the tire would have to be cut off the rim when the tread is gone and the tire needs to be replaced. Either that or buy new rims.

Thank you folks.
It sounds like foam might be more trouble and cost than it's worth to me. Since I don't need flat tire protection, regular fluid in the tires will probably be fine.

/ Foam Instead of Fluid in Tires #8  
I know that Henro, another TBN member has foam in his tires and loves it, but he had it done by someone else if I remember correctly. It has good weight from what I remember, but as has been said, the tire will have to be replaced with a new one if you have any troubles with it as the foam precludes ever simply repairing. I think liquid filling would be a better option. Something like RV antifreeze or the beet juice stuff available from different brands. Filling with liquid is something one can easily do.
John