Ford 1220 problem

/ Ford 1220 problem #1  

ford351c

I bought a Ford 1220 at a auction. It had 1400 hours on it. First thing I did (except for driving on and off the trailer when I bought it). Was park it in my garage and saw no oil on the floor under the tractor. Before I mowed for the first time. I change all the fluids and filters. I used Rotella Oil and New Holland filters/ Hydraulic fluid. Problem is I am getting some oil out of the tube that I assume vents the engine like a PCV valve. Now everytime I park in the garage there is oil under the tractor. I can feel pressure out of the vent hose while the engine is running. Also I can feel pressure out of the oil fill tube with the cap off. The engine starts and appears to run fine. Allthough it seems under powered. (first diesel, nothing to compare to). I have rebuilt many gas engines and trannys. But I have never touched a deisel. Looking for advise on how to measure compression or where(without taking to a dealer) to start. I might add there is a small amount of smoke out of the exhaust on startup. But while running there is very little if any smoke out of the exhaust pipe. Thanks !!

/ Ford 1220 problem #2  
It is common for a burp of black smoke out the stack when a diesel starts up.. simply unburned fuel from the first couple revs that don't make it pop. If it doesn't smoke bad when running.. that is a good sign.

Also.. these engines are high compression... much higher than gas. When you see some puffing out of a gas engines pcv / engine breather you know you are getting some blowby.. I expect a little blowby on a diesel.. it shouldn't puf or blow bad.. but some is ok.. hard to gauge 'some'.. etc.

If it is not blowing oil out the blowby while you are standing there.. look for the leak elsewhere.. like mains .. drain plugs.. etc. Drips can hit the fram and then run a foot or two then hit the floor making it fun to locate leaks.

Find the leak before you panic. Also.. yes.. I think the whole 12xx series felt a tad underpowered.. a neighbor had one and I constantly had to go mow his pasture when it got a little overgrown... the machine is only the size of a big riding lawnmower...

Soundguy