ford 1600 injector pump problem

/ ford 1600 injector pump problem #1  

noonerman1985

Tractor
Ford 1600
I have a ford 1600 with what I believe is an injector pump problem. when cold starting, I have to pull down the throttle nearly to full throttle to get it to start and even then, it takes a bit of cranking to start. then as soon as it starts it will start to rev so I ease up on the throttle to not have it rev up real high and then it dies. So what its doing is it starts, revs up, then dies. It takes 3-4 times of starting like this before I can get it to stay running. once it stays running, it wont run at an idle speed. it will only run with the throttle up a little bit and it runs in a way that the RPMs rev up, then slow back down, then rev up, then slow back down and it will do this until it has run for 15-20 mins and is good and warm. once its good and warm it runs, alright, a slight lack in power from the way it ran before.

now, about 15 years ago or so, when Bio-diesel first started coming around I made the mistake of running it in the tractor. needless to say after things started gumming up and the thing getting harder and harder to start, I said to **** with bio-diesel and I went through the entire fuel system cleaning and replacing seals and filters. I had the injector pump professionally rebuilt, installed and timed. the thing ran like a top for 6 months or so, then I started to notice it was getting a little slow to start (glow plugs and compression are good) and lacking a little power. Now after sitting through this last winter this is how the tractor acts. I am going to change the oil in the pump today to see if it'll help.

the only knowledge I have of the inner workings of its injector pump is from a break-down diagram I found here on TBN. I would take the pump off and tear it down but I've never worked on one of these pumps before. could it be a governor problem?

Any ideas or shared knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

/ ford 1600 injector pump problem #2  
Just wondering...when was the last time anyone changed (or even checked) the oil in the injection pump? That in itself could be a contributing factor. If all is well on that front, then I agree there is an internal pump(or governor related) problem. Removing and installing the pump is something most people can do. The internal workings, however, are best left to those with knowledge and equipment up to the task.

/ ford 1600 injector pump problem
yeah, I changed its oil a couple days ago and even after changing the pump oil, the **** thing is still acting up. would incorrect pump timing cause this? I read up on how to check and re-time the pump in the IT manual and I was thinking about checking it when I get some time in the next week or so.