ford 1620 loosing power uphill

/ ford 1620 loosing power uphill #1  

gailcahill

Tractor
1961 ford 4000 industrial
Ford 1620 HST tractor. Loosing forward motion when going up a hill, engine then gets bogged down. I would appreciate any advice how to fix or diagnose

/ ford 1620 loosing power uphill #2  
Is this a new symptom or a new to you tractor? How steep of a hill and did you have it in low range?

/ ford 1620 loosing power uphill
Is this a new symptom or a new to you tractor? How steep of a hill and did you have it in low range?
Not a "new to me" tractor...I was driving on the road in High 2wd and it struggled to the point of stalling to make it to the top. I put it med and it struggled but made it. The symptom of not going forward on a steep hill is new to me just yesterday. When I got home I tried a test on a fairly steep but not very long (10ft) embankment. I was in high 2wd and the tractor would not forward once under the load of the hill. I put it in med and it went up. I have noticed in the past two years that I loose some power when driving in high gear(2wd) on the road. I have not had the problem of the engine getting completely bogged down though.

/ ford 1620 loosing power uphill #4  
That is what I was thinking. This is a common issue with HST. Most people have a tendency to push harder on the pedal when climbing a hill like they would driving a car. You might find it could climb the hill if you have the hand throttle all the way up and ease off of the HST pedal as the engine starts to bog down. But choosing the correct range for the hill still is the best answer. I do not believe there is an issue with your tractor.

/ ford 1620 loosing power uphill
That is what I was thinking. This is a common issue with HST. Most people have a tendency to push harder on the pedal when climbing a hill like they would driving a car. You might find it could climb the hill if you have the hand throttle all the way up and ease off of the HST pedal as the engine starts to bog down. But choosing the correct range for the hill still is the best answer. I do not believe there is an issue with your tractor.
Thank you

/ ford 1620 loosing power uphill #6  
You are welcome and I hope that helps.

/ ford 1620 loosing power uphill #7  
This is the time of the year when fuel problems raise their ugly head. You may want to start there. Check the tank for slime or growth. Remove the line after the tank valve and see if it has full flow. Replace fuel filter(s), check air filters.

/ ford 1620 loosing power uphill #8  
Agree with K5lwq above - the high range on my MF1540 is useless for anything but driving on a flat paved road.

/ ford 1620 loosing power uphill #9  
Not a "new to me" tractor...I was driving on the road in High 2wd and it struggled to the point of stalling to make it to the top. I put it med and it struggled but made it. The symptom of not going forward on a steep hill is new to me just yesterday. When I got home I tried a test on a fairly steep but not very long (10ft) embankment. I was in high 2wd and the tractor would not forward once under the load of the hill. I put it in med and it went up. I have noticed in the past two years that I loose some power when driving in high gear(2wd) on the road. I have not had the problem of the engine getting completely bogged down though.
That is exactly the first symptoms of a clogged fuel filter. Change the fuel filter and see if that helps.

/ ford 1620 loosing power uphill #10  
My TC45DA will do that but it pulls 9.5’ bushhog cutting pasture just fine, so its not a fuel issue.

I’d try mowing with in grass that will load it and require max fuel first.

Once you do that then you should know how to proceed.