Ford 1620 or go newer

/ Ford 1620 or go newer
Power is power within reason - old or new. Should not see a difference with an older healthy engine versus new. The main difference will be in weight and stability. Typically the older tractors are heavier and, thus, more stable.

That makes sense. For a size comparison all I have is my 8N. I know there are times when I would like to mow in a higher gear or use a fuller pass with my 5ft brush hog then it will do. Looking at tractor data it looks like the 1620 and the 8N are pretty similar HP wise and also weight. My 8N runs very nicely so I think it's running as close to designed as a 60+ year old tractor can. But I have nothing in the way of comparison or experience. Should I assume that the 1620 (and for that matter) the new 25HP Kubota/LS would be similar and start out by shopping bigger? Or can I just assume my 8n isn't running at full output anymore? I cut everything down in the fall so even if a dealer would let me demo I won't have and decent height brome grass to cut until middle-late May (normally) for a test. I've read on the forum to go one size bigger than you think you need but not sure 8N is a good baseline. I like the price, and if I understand right 25hp gets under tier 4 in the new stuff, but don't want to go to small. But I know I've read posts were people were going all sorts of tasks (mostly with timber) on bigger acreages and they were shopping in this range. Maybe wait for something older with more HP???

/ Ford 1620 or go newer #12  
That makes sense. For a size comparison all I have is my 8N. I know there are times when I would like to mow in a higher gear or use a fuller pass with my 5ft brush hog then it will do. Looking at tractor data it looks like the 1620 and the 8N are pretty similar HP wise and also weight. My 8N runs very nicely so I think it's running as close to designed as a 60+ year old tractor can. But I have nothing in the way of comparison or experience. Should I assume that the 1620 (and for that matter) the new 25HP Kubota/LS would be similar and start out by shopping bigger? Or can I just assume my 8n isn't running at full output anymore? I cut everything down in the fall so even if a dealer would let me demo I won't have and decent height brome grass to cut until middle-late May (normally) for a test. I've read on the forum to go one size bigger than you think you need but not sure 8N is a good baseline. I like the price, and if I understand right 25hp gets under tier 4 in the new stuff, but don't want to go to small. But I know I've read posts were people were going all sorts of tasks (mostly with timber) on bigger acreages and they were shopping in this range. Maybe wait for something older with more HP???

I have had an 8N (1951) for 47 years. It is a great old tractor, and I do still use it (occasionally).
That said: My Ford 1920 is VASTLY superior.
4x4, diesel, live PTO, all hydraulic loader, 12 speeds, shuttle shift, power steering.
If I were you, I think I would be looking for a used, 4x4, pre tier IV, tractor/loader, in the 30+HP range.
Absent a find like that, you should probably buy any new machine that you like, in the same 30+HP range.

/ Ford 1620 or go newer #13  
I have a 1620 that I bought "used" from my local dealer.. it was rented for 3 months by a contractor to put in a local golf course.. I still have it, still love it have made a DIY adapter so I can slip out of the bucket and put forks on it.. rear tires are filled and I have chains for them.. 72' box scraper.. up until last winter used it with a 3pt 60" snowblower to do the driveway.. One reason I didn't go bigger is you can still buy a MMM for it! I have a 72 side discharge that takes about 10 minutes to put on/off.. wouldn't need another mover then!

/ Ford 1620 or go newer #14  
Theoretically, you can overthink this thing. Anything less than 20 years old is going to make that 8n seem like a relic. I had a 24hp John Deere 850 that ran a five foot rotary cutter through tall brush just fine. I think any 25-35 hp CUT will will work just fine for your needs.

Get out there and test drive some tractors at the dealers. You will learn something new about what you like (or don't) every time. Start scouring your local Craigslist and Tractorhouse. You will start to get a sense of what's available and at what cost. If you find a great deal, don't wait to pull the trigger because someone else whil.

/ Ford 1620 or go newer
Theoretically, you can overthink this thing. Anything less than 20 years old is going to make that 8n seem like a relic. I had a 24hp John Deere 850 that ran a five foot rotary cutter through tall brush just fine. I think any 25-35 hp CUT will will work just fine for your needs.

Get out there and test drive some tractors at the dealers. You will learn something new about what you like (or don't) every time. Start scouring your local Craigslist and Tractorhouse. You will start to get a sense of what's available and at what cost. If you find a great deal, don't wait to pull the trigger because someone else whil.

You're right about over thinking it!!! But been working alot with just the internet for my down time so end up wanting to figure out all I can online. I due appreciate everyone's input!