Oil & Fuel Ford 1900 emitting more black soot out exhaust stack

/ Ford 1900 emitting more black soot out exhaust stack #1  

thomsir

Tractor
Ford 1900
Hi,

I am noticing an increase in large (0.1mm-1.0mm) black soot particles under normal use. Before I start worrying about expensive fuel injection, any advice on how to diagnose and fix? I'm between seasons right now and plan to give her a general service including cleaning the air filter.

Thanks

/ Ford 1900 emitting more black soot out exhaust stack #2  
Actually, NOW may be the time to clean or replace the air filter. Without enough air combustion can become really dirty as it's incomplete.

/ Ford 1900 emitting more black soot out exhaust stack #3  
Check the airfilter.

/ Ford 1900 emitting more black soot out exhaust stack #5  
Also how do you operate your machine? Load it good frequently, get it up to temperature long enough to burn the moisture out of things? Do you use additives in your.....fresh, clean, diesel?

/ Ford 1900 emitting more black soot out exhaust stack
Thanks all, I gave the tractor a general service including a good cleaning of the air filter. It's running much better / cleaner. The tractor gets used about 50 hours total - a few hours at a time - in fall and winter, and generally sits over spring, summer, so I will keep the tank full and add an additive.

/ Ford 1900 emitting more black soot out exhaust stack #7  
It sounds like you where starting to burn out the wet stacking. You need to run it harder for longer.

/ Ford 1900 emitting more black soot out exhaust stack #8  
It sounds like you where starting to burn out the wet stacking. You need to run it harder for longer.
yeah, many people don't know about that..