FORD 2000 INFORMATION

/ FORD 2000 INFORMATION #12  
<font color="blue"> If I was looking for a mowing/tilling/disc/plow tractor.. I'd look for a gear unit </font>

I am with you on that Soundguy. We get 8-10 calls per year from owners of Fords with SOS Trannys gone bad and they are looking to buy a gear Tranny to use as a replacement. Local salvage yard will take in trade a SOS for a Gear Tranny and gets $1500 and the customers is still facing Tranny labor swithcing costs--Around here, when a SOS is performing as designed, The owner loves them--Ken Sweet

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC *Over 40 Used Cultipackers in Stock today-3 ft to 14 ft*

/ FORD 2000 INFORMATION
NOT AS knowledgable abut that tranny as you are, but from what i have read and researched i don't think i would be comfortable with the SOS on the ford. But i don't think the guys wants it either, so it is a moot point. But it will be filed away in my mental data bank /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ FORD 2000 INFORMATION #14  
Like was said.. when it works.. its golden.. when it doesn't.. you are calling 15 places looking for parts or a gear tranny.

I read a few antique mags.. and you usually see one or two places that part out, or buy SOS tranny parts. So some parts are available.

Kinda reminds me of dual power on the 8000's If it works, cool.. if it doesn'.. leave it and use the low range!... cheaper than fixing, as some of the tranny gears go for big money!

Like I said.. if it was a parade/show machine, and the SOS woked.. I'd be happy... if it is a worker... and the price was right.. id get it.. keeping in mind that I may need a tranny if it ever fouls up.. etc. That said... gear trannies do die.. just never can tell how your luck will run on old iron.

Soundguy

/ FORD 2000 INFORMATION #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( NOT AS knowledgable abut that tranny as you are )</font>

I just caught that part. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif probably a bit too strong of language there. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I've driven with them, but never had one spread apart on a bench.. etc. I've looke dover the shop manual on many o fthe sos trannies.. and it's a complicated mess. Most of the problems were adjustment/maintenance isues, and of course, the big field fix / high early failure rate issues.. etc.

Still.. it was way ahead of its time. I do remember once helping somone cobble up a choke cable to help replace a NLA shiter cable... etc... while at a show... That owner was the epitome of 'no maintenance... that tractor even had a broke spark plug.. insulator was broke, above the base.. didn't leak.. but obviously no spark on that cyl.. no wire.. All the guy had to do was put a spark plug whench on it and pull it! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.. oh well.. some people.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Soundguy

/ FORD 2000 INFORMATION #16  
If friend of your friend buys it, he will be searching part suppliers (who are usually importers from Turkey such as A&I, Sparex, etc) when a spare part is needed. There are many from this model here. I can send him a power steering kit if it doesn't have.

/ FORD 2000 INFORMATION #17  
For what it's worth, here is a pic of my '63 Ford 2000 that I sold last year for $2900.

Tom

Attachments

• 648373-Ford 2000_1.JPG
    648373-Ford 2000_1.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 224