Ford 2120 electronic shuttle shift transmission stalls engine in reverse

/ Ford 2120 electronic shuttle shift transmission stalls engine in reverse #1  

Repairman

Tractor
Ford 2120
Hi,
I have a 1995 Ford 2120 with electronic shuttle shift transmission and 4 wheel drive. The tractor was serviced this summer because the PTO was locked up and damaged the PTO clutch and other parts. The tractor ran fine for 3 months. Recently the transmission would stay in forward when shifted into reverse. Switching the gear to neutral and then reverse allowed the tractor to go into reverse. The problem has become permanent where the tractor stalls when it is put into reverse.

I tested the electronic circuits and it appears that the power (~13 volts) is being delivered to the forward solenoid only when the selector is in forward. With the selector in neutral the tractor is in neutral no power to either solenoid. When the shifter is in reverse power is delivered only to the reverse solenoid.

Has anyone had a similar issue and advice? I am currently thinking the hydraulic clutch pack section may be damaged.

/ Ford 2120 electronic shuttle shift transmission stalls engine in reverse
Well I pulled the tractor apart and it ended up being the shuttle clutches being worn out. Took me 8 hours to disassemble the tractor including removing the bucket loader. I chained the bucket to a tree and used the bucket hydraulics to lift the linkage off the tractor makes it a lot easier to reinstall since I only have one tractor.

Parts 1200 for clutch disks, 225 for 3 plastic shaft seals and 200 for labor to disassemble and reassemble the unit.

Probably will take me 12+ hours to reassemble the tractor once I am finished.

/ Ford 2120 electronic shuttle shift transmission stalls engine in reverse #3  
Thanks for the info, glad you got the problem solved.:thumbsup:

/ Ford 2120 electronic shuttle shift transmission stalls engine in reverse #4  
Repairman, thanks for the update. How many hours on the tractor, and do you know how hard it was used. Hate to hear of big repairs to my model.
Jim

/ Ford 2120 electronic shuttle shift transmission stalls engine in reverse
The tractor has 2600 hours on it. The clutch friction material is delaminated from the disks. I have been using the recommended New Holland transmission oil. The tractor mostly used for landscaping and yard work.

/ Ford 2120 electronic shuttle shift transmission stalls engine in reverse #6  
Well I pulled the tractor apart and it ended up being the shuttle clutches being worn out. Took me 8 hours to disassemble the tractor including removing the bucket loader. I chained the bucket to a tree and used the bucket hydraulics to lift the linkage off the tractor makes it a lot easier to reinstall since I only have one tractor.

Parts 1200 for clutch disks, 225 for 3 plastic shaft seals and 200 for labor to disassemble and reassemble the unit.

Probably will take me 12+ hours to reassemble the tractor once I am finished.
I have a 94' 2120 with 100 hours that is doing this. Last year it wouldn't move, and it was the rotary switch, mice had made a nest. Now this year it will go only forward, and sometimes even when in neutral. I'm guessing this switch may be bad again?