Ford 3000 battery

/ Ford 3000 battery #1  

BobReeves

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
Haven't had my 3000 for very long but discovered they originally had a rather large battery. Mine came with a standard auto battery and am wondering if this is a bad thing?

It has started without problems for the last several months but now it's getting colder and wondering if I might start having problems because it doesn't have that monster battery in it.

/ Ford 3000 battery #2  
Bob, does this tractor have or can you install a block heater? My money says that would be more effective than an overpriced speciality battery.

And I'm sure someone will correct me, but cranking amps are cranking amps. If your battery has enough, you should be good.

Ron

/ Ford 3000 battery
No block heater and don't plan to install one. You won't find me outside for very long if it's below 60, I am a warm weather kind of guy. The only reason I would start it with the temps below 60 is if we get enough snow for long enough that we can't get out the drive. Doesn't happen very often in Oklahoma /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Ford 3000 battery #4  
Most o fthe difference between auto batteries and farm use batteries are the thickness of the plates and the vibration resistance. Auto batteries usually don't last quite as long in rough duty environments as farm use batteries.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Ford 3000 battery #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( No block heater and don't plan to install one. You won't find me outside for very long if it's below 60, I am a warm weather kind of guy. The only reason I would start it with the temps below 60 is if we get enough snow for long enough that we can't get out the drive. Doesn't happen very often in Oklahoma /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif )</font>

I think it's the days you didn't plan to be out that you wish your tractor would start - like when your car get's stuck in the snow.

/ Ford 3000 battery #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( No block heater and don't plan to install one. You won't find me outside for very long if it's below 60, I am a warm weather kind of guy. The only reason I would start it with the temps below 60 is if we get enough snow for long enough that we can't get out the drive. Doesn't happen very often in Oklahoma /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif )</font>

Bob, was/is your 3000 a 6-volt tractor? Some 6-volt batteries used to be very big because they had large plates for the current rating. If your tractor is 12-volt, I would not worry about it. I'd go down to Sam's or Wal*Mart and buy one of those hand-held booster batteries to keep as a backup for my tractor and other vehicles, and use it when needed. I have two of them and they come in handy on mowers, tractors, cars, etc. They also have a little portable air pump which is handy as a pocket on a shirt. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Ford 3000 battery
Naw, it's 12 volts and looks to always have been.

I was in Atwoods the other day and saw the monster 12 volt batteries for tractors and the 3000 battery box is big enough to house one. This is part of what got me wondring about the small auto battery in mine.

I started it yesterday to get the BB out of my shop, it was about 40 deg outside. It was straining and had to turn over a couple more times than normal but it started. Not sure what would happen at 20. I did back it into the lean-to so I could jump it if necessary.

Thanks guys, was just wondering if I needed to spend another hundred or so on a battery for some reason I wasn't aware of.

/ Ford 3000 battery #8  
I've got a '74 3000 Ford. (gasser) It's harder to start when hot than cold starting in the winter. I've always ran the "big battery" that fills the tray. Never had any troubles with it. (Other than paying for 'em) The 3000 turns over slow at first, but ALWAYS fires in the coldest of weather. That's why I keep it around.