Ford 3000 diesel knock

/ Ford 3000 diesel knock #1  

Catoosa

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 3000 & 3600
Bought a Ford 3000 diesel in 05 with a loader and have been working it during the summer months every since, mostly mowing 8 acres and moving gravel for the drive. It has always had a knock that if I didn't think different would swear was a rod. Don't believe a rod knock would last 12 years and who knows how many hours. Couple years ago I had the injectors rebuilt thinking one may be causing the knock This fall I checked the valve adjustments, again just trying to eliminate the obvious.

Never owned a diesel anything before and wondering if I should even be concerned at all.

/ Ford 3000 diesel knock #2  
The 3000 knocks.. period.
You could try adjusting the pump timing..IF its a CAV pump..
look on the mounting flange of the pump and you'll see a scribe line.. that line lines up w/ * marks on the engine block.
They may be painted over but they're there. Loosen the pump & rotate it to the "0" * mark on the engine.

/ Ford 3000 diesel knock
Merry Christmas..

Thanks for the pump tip, will check it next time I get the tractor out.
Sounds like it isn't anything to be too worried about.

/ Ford 3000 diesel knock #4  
Have you starved each cyl to see if that kills the knock? ( remember to be safe, diesel injected under the skin is extremely dangerous, so no skin near pressurized fluids.. Tools only!)

/ Ford 3000 diesel knock
Haven't done anything for a while too durn cold to be messing with it outside. I did see a YouTube video where a guy was plowing with a 3000 and it had exactly the same knock mine has. I know that doesn't mean it's right but gives me one more reason to believe it's pretty normal for that engine.

/ Ford 3000 diesel knock #6  
Yanmars hammer... a good 3000 shouldn't knock..