Ford 3000 Head Gasket

/ Ford 3000 Head Gasket #1  

TheoB

Tractor
Ford 3000
Hi, after some advice please.

I fitted a new head gasket and the holes around the two hollow dowels were a little tight so tapped it down flat with a nut just bigger than the dowel. The holes must have been a little too close as this left the gasket nearly 3/4" off the face in the middle. At the time I thought it may be ok so tightened down the head in line with the shop manual but now I'm having second thoughts. Do you think it will be ok or should I take the head off again and punch out the side of the holes? Or new gasket?

Thanks in advance.

/ Ford 3000 Head Gasket #2  
I restored my 3000 and I too had tight fitting alignment holes. I installed the head with the original bolts and used Copper Coat brand aerosol gasket sealer (specifically made to ensure head gaskets don't leak) on both sides of the gasket, torqued it down per the X pattern in the manual and haven't looked back....that was at least 30 years ago.

/ Ford 3000 Head Gasket #3  
Any engine I have installed a cylinder head on has never leaked. I use copper paint, the old stuff, too thick to use as paint without thinning. I even installed my Triumph motorcycle cylinder (1960 Triumph TR6C) head without a head gasket but with thick copper paint. Rode it from Chicago to Tempe AZ in winter and summer for three years without a leak. Slap the paint on thick, let it tack up a bit and wrench it down per specs. I always clean the mating surfaces well Brake Clean).

Used the same technique on my Dodge powered 1976 MH (440 C.I.) which ran very hot (lean burn Thermoquad carb). Never had any issue. I would follow Texasmark's technique.