Loader Ford 3550 industrial transmission help

/ Ford 3550 industrial transmission help
Well I just had to use this tractor to get my 8n unstuck. It hit high centered on a hidden stump while brush hogging.

Anyway, the tranny shifted much better today but the power steering is still lacking. Though, it was much better after tightening the front mount of the power steering cylinder.

However, I figured out why I don't like this tractor and it isn't it's fault I guess.

The soil out here is a lot of blow sand. These R1 tires just have no traction in reverse. The issue is compounded on this tractor because there isn't any ballast on the back end of it. It doesn't have a 3 point so I can't hang a box blade or similar off the back.

I found I have the same issue on my 8n with nothing on the back. It will usually go anywhere I ask it with the box blade on the rear but unloaded, it's just as bad as this 3550.

/ Ford 3550 industrial transmission help #32  
Skeeter, since you're in Texas, have you filled your rear tires with water (since it won't freeze in San Marcos and it's cheap weight)? I am real familiar with blow sand, but regardless of soil type, you need that ballast.

/ Ford 3550 industrial transmission help
Skeeter, since you're in Texas, have you filled your rear tires with water (since it won't freeze in San Marcos and it's cheap weight)? I am real familiar with blow sand, but regardless of soil type, you need that ballast.

I have loaded the tires with water.

If we keep this tractor, I am contemplating building a ballast box of some type to hang off the back to help with traction.