Backhoe Ford 4000 IND Backhoe

/ Ford 4000 IND Backhoe #1  

Oldyellowtractor

Tractor
N/A
So, I just bought an old 4000 Industrial Backhoe. I forgot to take pictures. Will add later. It's a 1960's model, 4 CYL diesel, 4 speed trans, has the cast iron front nose, outboard brakes, and many leaks. This thing runs like a top, cranks right up, brakes work, loader and hoe function, nothing electrical works. I have all the sheet metal, but the hood is off of it.

First thing is to address is seats. It has seat frames, but no upholstery. I drove it home on a 2x4 and a towel. I'm tall, I want to raise the tractor seat up and move it back a little so I can make it swivel or flip over to operate the backhoe. Anybody ever done this? Why is the clutch pedal so tall on these things? The clutch rod is bent, looks like I could straighten it and it would lower the pedal height a little, but it would still be tall.

The backhoe control valve is leaking around the top. Looks like it should be a simple repair, maybe some o-rings. Is there a kit or something to fix this? Or, would it be easier to replace it with generic loader control valves?

The electrical stuff looks to be an easy fix. Install a 1-wire alt, re-wire the lights, start switch, etc. The temp gage works, but looks like crap, oil pressure gage not hooked up (I found the tube, not pinched off or anything, don't know why it's not pouring oil out), tach is not hooked up. If I use an alternator, is there some way to make a tach work? I doubt the existing generator works, it is not hooked up at all.

It's missing the cup or pan that goes on the bottom of the oil-bath air cleaner. Right now it has a generic filter clamped over the intake tube, so I'm afraid to leave it out in the rain. Is that pan hard to find so I can put the oil-bath back on.

Where can I find the numbers to identify the engine, trans, axle, hoe, etc? Where do you guys recommend ordering parts from?

I've worked on an assortment of old equipment, but I knew all the model information and what not. I don't know anything about this thing.

I'll get some pictures of it up soon.

If you guys could post some pics of similar machines so I could see what it's supposed to look like, I would appreciate it.