ford 4610 telescoping link popping out.

/ ford 4610 telescoping link popping out. #1  

gonefishin1

Tractor
ford 4610, ford 2120, ts254 (Chinese)
So my left rear link has got to where it won't stay engaged. It pops out to the extended position when using almost any implement now.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I took them both apart to see what is going on. The lock pin on the left side has a noticeable amount of wear over the right hand. The track end assembly as it's called on messicks parts diagram, has a slight amount of rounding in the detent (not sure what you call the notch where the lock pin sits). The pin that goes all the way through is very worn also, but this shouldn't affect locking in. This is the pin that the stabilizers hook to as well.

These parts are very expensive, especially the track end assembly $650-850.

My plan after seeing how expensive these are is to weld up and grind smooth the lock pin to the same size as the other side, and see how it performs. I may have to do the same for the track end assembly too if it doesn't work right still.

What I am worried about is if the welding will mess up any heat treating these parts may have....

/ ford 4610 telescoping link popping out. #2  
I wouldn't worry about building it up with a welder and negatively effecting the makeup of the part, I don't believe that is a cast iron item I think it is forged, worst case you've damaged a part that is already worn out.

As for the worn pin replace it with a grade 8 bolt if possible.

/ ford 4610 telescoping link popping out. #3  
I agree.

I'd definitely try to fix it.

You might be able to buy a used one from a "bone yard". Problem would be you won't know how worn it is.... I've bought some stuff for my 3910 from Worthington Ag Parts online. Great people to deal with.

/ ford 4610 telescoping link popping out. #4  
The 4610 and 3910, and likely many other 10 series above the 3910, use the same telescopic end.

/ ford 4610 telescoping link popping out.
So i welded and filled up the lock pin mechanism about 3/8” and ground it back to the proper angle. It seems to be working fine now. I’ll know for 100% when i put the tiller back on it.

I think I will order the 2 pins that go all the way through that the stabilizers pin into. They aren’t too expensive and I don’t think I could make a bolt work easily as there is a hole on 1 end for a linch pin...

/ ford 4610 telescoping link popping out. #6  
Those stabilizer pins should be able to be bought at most farm supply stores. Does your 4610 have the square tube stabilizers with a pin that drops in or do you have to put bars onto those pines you speak of and put lynch pins on? On the 3910 I had it had the square tube stabilizers and the pin you spoke of I just used to hold Lynch pins when no equipment was mounted.

/ ford 4610 telescoping link popping out.
Mine has the bar style stabilizers that i have to put over those pins.