Ford 4630 or new Korean ?

/ Ford 4630 or new Korean ? #1  

Reiner7

Tractor
Ford 4500
I am trying to decide on a 1996 Ford NH 4630 or a new Korean tractor.

I have a 5 acre Horse ranch and the Tractor will usually pull an arena drag. The drag manufacturer says no less than 30 HP. There is a dealer of LG Montana and Century fairly close to me. These brands seem extremely well made as well as the Kioto.

But along comes a nice Ford with 50 HP and 900 hours on it. It's bigger than I really need, but I drove it and it is sweet. What should I do? The cost of the Ford is $15K and that's about the same as a new Montana.

Thanks,

Chris

/ Ford 4630 or new Korean ? #2  
I think that for is more like 60 engine / 55 pto.. and maybee 50 drawbar hp.

4630 is a nice beefy unit.. though I believe 15k is too much $$. I had the chance to buy a good runner that needed cosmetic help for 4300 a few years ago.. and saw another like it in the 6000 range. A good looker and runner I would expect to be more in the 9000-11000 range..

Soundguy

/ Ford 4630 or new Korean ? #3  
Reiner7,

I used to own a Ford/New Holland 3930 tractor, 45 HP version of the 4630. It was a good tough tractor. $15k seems a little high for the 4630 unless it is front wheel assist and/or has a loader.

These tractors also had a number of options that could make them more valuable and productive.
1) Synchronized shuttle transmission
2) Dual hydraulic pumps (more capacity for loader work)
3) Single or dual hydraulic remotes
4) ROPS with canopy
5) Deluxe seat

The Ford/New Holland 30 series are proven performers. 900 hours is barely broken-in. Resale value is also very good.

I don't know much about the Korean tractors, but if this Ford tractor is in good shape, it should do the job for you.

OrangeGuy

/ Ford 4630 or new Korean ? #4  
The company I work for has a 4630 Ford. It get's used (and abused) to finish grade and power a street sweeper. There's been a few issues with the injector pump, but I'm of the opinion that's because of the jack-leg mechanic we employ. (He can't leave things alone when they're working, and WON'T work on things that are broken)

The 4630 is used by some very in-experienced operators. It never sees gentle use. Still, it keeps on going like the energizer bunny. Seems like a good durable tractor.

Don't expect kind words on the Korean tractors from me. Not at all a fan of them.

Price seems a bit excessive on the Ford though. I'd say $10,000 to $11,000 in that condition.

/ Ford 4630 or new Korean ? #5  
Sounds like most here like the Ford and most likely for good reason. In any case let me say that the Montanas are excellent tractors, built extremely well and am sure you will be very happy with one should you buy one. I tend to think that all of the Korean manufactured tractors are of very high quality in general.

I would look at the Montana 3040 or 3840. I really like all the features, weight and that Mitsu 4cyl. is a great engine. Personally, I think the 3040 will do the job and would go with that. Have you driven one?

Thanks,
Maka

/ Ford 4630 or new Korean ?
Thanks to all for the great info. Love this place!

I should have mentioned the 4630 has a loader and ROP. It is 4WD and has the synchro trans. I guess this means you can shift while moving? My 4500 Ford does not like to be shifted while traveling.

The loader is an SMC and has been tied into the rear Hydraulic connections. There are 2 levers on the rear for attachment control and one of them is where the loader is connected. That valve must be engaged for the loader to work. What seemed annoying was that when the limit of the bucket was hit, the rear valve would center and then have to be reset to get fluid back to the loader. I would guess that can be changed?

It seems like more control valves would be nice. 2 seems very limited for a Gannon.

I have not driven the Montanas. Just drooled over a new tractor or 2. Guess I'll have to check them out this week-end.

Chris