3-Point Hitch Ford 5000 Rear PTO spins even when not engaged

/ Ford 5000 Rear PTO spins even when not engaged
Also, I'm pretty good with fixing things...and I have an engine hoist, and a ton of tooling, so I'm not afraid to tackle a tractor split, but having never done it...could use some advice and guidance.

/ Ford 5000 Rear PTO spins even when not engaged #12  
I know that my clutch is getting worn - need to really push it all the way down to keep a few gears from grinding when going into gear. I only put 50-60 hours per year on it, so I've been hesitant to do the clutch until it really needs it.

So please forgive my ignorance, but...how much of my tractor would I need to take apart to check what you mention here?
Lift top.

/ Ford 5000 Rear PTO spins even when not engaged #13  
If the implement doesn't turn when the pto is not engaged there's a much easier option for safety purposes. That year 5000 should have threads around the pto shaft output on the tractor body where you can screw on the metal pto cover that came with the tractor. Of course that cover got lost about 1979 and if a New Holland dealer had one it would be a zillion dollars. Maybe not, those things were made for decades and were probably "one size fits all" generics.
If the implement does turn when the pto is disengaged you gotta get into more serious repair work.
From your other thread; go to tractor supply and buy a new top link for your three point hitch. Maybe $40, buy the heavier model. Your time is better spent than trying to save $10 in an attempt to cobble something together that won't ever work quite right. It's a 45 year old tractor for Pete's sake. It's going to need a new part every 10 or 20 years.

If the implement doesn't turn when the pto is not engaged there's a much easier option for safety purposes. That year 5000 should have threads around the pto shaft output on the tractor body where you can screw on the metal pto cover that came with the tractor. Of course that cover got lost about 1979 and if a New Holland dealer had one it would be a zillion dollars. Maybe not, those things were made for decades and were probably "one size fits all" generics.
If the implement does turn when the pto is disengaged you gotta get into more serious repair work.
From your other thread; go to tractor supply and buy a new top link for your three point hitch. Maybe $40, buy the heavier model. Your time is better spent than trying to save $10 in an attempt to cobble something together that won't ever work quite right. It's a 45 year old tractor for Pete's sake. It's going to need a new part every 10 or 20 years.
I have that cap, yes. If I can sell it to any of you for a zillion dollars, I’m all for that.

Honestly I believe the made in China crap they sell today can be more work (and time) than repairing parts from my 45 year old Ford.

That’s the real reason.

OK, I'm reviving my old thread, since I have purchased the gasket and rebuild kit for the lift cover.

I want to make sure I have the steps to pull it apart identified.

1) remove the seat (tips on getting in there? Not much room)
IMG_3838.jpg
2) remove the hydraulic remote assembly
IMG_3839.jpg
3) Remove the pin holding the top link arm
IMG_3840.jpg
4) On both left and right, remove the pins holding the lower 3pt arms to the lift cover armsIMG_3841.jpgIMG_3842.jpg
5) remove all 13 bolts holding the lift cover in place
IMG_3843.jpgIMG_3844.jpg
6) use engine hoist and straps to lift the cover off <--anything else need disconnected from the inside before completely removing?

I purchased the entire lift cover rebuild kit, but not sure what I'll find when I have it off. If any o-rings look warn or damaged, I'll replace them. My main goal is to troubleshoot the PTO spinning, when not engaged. Any tips for where to start?

Thanks in advance.

The tractor in the picture looks about a 71 or 72 I just went through this mine has a non adjustable shoe style brake the band didn't start until 72 or 73 later I think...
Most likley your snap ring has come out of your clutch pack and it allowed the main spring to not have enough force on the piston in the clutch pack to press the fluid back out when u disengage it so that means the fluid is staying in for longer keeping the clutch discs togeather and causing it to continue to spin after you disengage it.

I have pictures if u need them.

Take lift cover off and under the draft control the bracket that you hook your top link to, fold it down remove that cover and slide the shaft out the back of the tractor and remove the screw by your left foot step with the nut and when u take it out I bet the spring has pushed the snap ring an thrust washer into the clutch hub.
Tylertown...I know it's been a while but...PICs would be super helpful. Mine is a '72. I was told (incorrectly) by the original owner that it was a '70. But for sure it's '72.

-Tom