Ford 555 back hoe, help needed

/ Ford 555 back hoe, help needed #1  

ntgar

Tractor
ferguson 20, 35
Hello everyone,

Im helping a friend tidy up his Ford 555 digger and he has a leak the ATF fluid is leaking into the rear axle, we're wondering has anyone ever had this problem???, the main question is do we have to go in from the bell housing or do we have to remove the gearbox and axle, we know its a seal but which one it is has us a little baffled,

If anyone could shed some light on what action we should take it would be much appreciated, thanks

/ Ford 555 back hoe, help needed #2  
Maybe this link to NH Construction will help. Official New Holland Construction Equipment Online Parts Store and Parts Finder.

I got you to the page of the 555 series, since it may be something other than the straight 555 model.

Select the particular model you're seeking, then click on it in the menu. From there a page will open showing all the components. Select component, and a page will appear with an exploded view of that component, & part numbers.

/ Ford 555 back hoe, help needed #3  
Not too familiar with what seal it may be, but it sounds like you need to split it for sure. And thats a PITA on most backhoes. I would recommend replacing EVERY seal you can while you have it appart. Cause the cost of seals are cheap compared to the effort involved.

And I wouldnt get seals from the dealer either. Take the measurements of the bore, shaft, and thickness and uses timkens (national) or CR/SKF's website to cross to either of the two. Then search ebay as most seals are only $5-$10 whereas a dealer is likely to charge $30+. And places like napa are somewhere in the middle.