Ford 8N spindle

/ Ford 8N spindle #1  

kTran

Tractor
Kubotta RTV500
I recently bought an 8N that appears to be a 1949 based on SN. I disassembled the right front hub to check the excessive play and found both bearings to have been completely disintegrated. Thought to check the left hub to see if I can identify the bearing sizes and type, and surprised to see the 2 spindles to be entirely different.

I don’t have much info about what has been done to the 8N, but would appreciate any info you have on the spindles and rebuild kit for the right hub (picture attached). Thanks in advance.

Kiet

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpeg
    IMG_0014.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
   / Ford 8N spindle #3  
Had that happen on my yanmar. Both the bearings in the hubs disintegrated and that is what happened when I removed them. A couple bearings maybe!! Pitiful!! My lawn mower of 15yrs. and the wheel wobble was getting really noticeable. How it didn't take the spindle out which I cleaned up?. NTM. Ford also!

/ Ford 8N spindle
Thanks for the link to the replacement, EdGooding. I've tried to take the old spindle out but got no luck. It seems stuck really good to the spindle arm and no amount of hammering seem to move it past halfway point (see the picture below). Any particular trick to get the spindle off the spindle arm?

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPEG
    IMG_0028.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
   / Ford 8N spindle #5  
Beating on it will not work, it is keyed and will not go any further down until you remove the key. I usually just use a jaw gear puller to get the arm off the spindle then you can remove the key. If it like most I have seen the spindle will all but fall out then because of wear in the bushings.