ford 8N

/ ford 8N #1  

indebt

Bronze Member
I am looking at a 1952 ford 8n gas to buy as my first tractor mainly for field mowing and setting fence post. The tractor is in good condition orig paint comes with brush hog, rear blade, post hole digger, plows , disc and small trailer to pull with tractor all for $3500 is this a good deal ,average, or not so good. Any comments will be helpfull.

/ ford 8N #2  
From your description, it sounds like a good deal to me.

By 'good condition' I assume it includes brakes that work (no seals leaking transmission oil onto them), and all gears that work without popping out of gear when under a load. Good compreession in all four cylinders and little oil consumption. Good hydraulics, and good rubber. Even if these are not all up to high standards, the price is still a good one. You could afford to put some repair money in it and still come out ahead. It and the equipment that goes with it should be a great package.

/ ford 8N #3  
Sounds like a decent deal to me, especially if all of the included attachments are in good shape.

/ ford 8N #4  
Very good deal...

Make sure you run the tractor enough to get it hot and check that the radiator doesn't bubble (cracked head or block). Many times these old tractors don't smoke much until they ge hot. A compression test will tell you a lot. Also, you want to make sure the tractor doesn't overheat due to a poor cooling system.

If the hydraulics on that tractor work today, they'll probably still be working in 10 years. If they are poor, that could mean a lot of expense.

/ ford 8N #5  
If the tractor is in good mechanical shape that is a nice price. 3 years ago i sold my ford 2n(almost the same tractor) althogh mine did have a rather nice FEL on it for that type of machine, i sold it with fel and 5ft KK mower for $3500.

/ ford 8N #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If the hydraulics on that tractor work today, they'll probably still be working in 10 years. If they are poor, that could mean a lot of expense )</font>

Not as bad as you would think. Just this afternoon, I completely rebuilt the hyds in my 52 8n. That included dropping thr pump and resealing it.. addin a new relief and check valve, and also pulling the hydraulic top cover, changing out the 3 steel ring piston with a newer o-ring style NAA piston, resealing the hyd cylinder, and replacing the cam folower pin. Parts came to about 70$ including shipping. The only thing I didn't replace was the cylinder itself.. That would have been another 85 bucks. I was able to hone mine with a brake hone.. Most can be honed unless they are completely gutted. The NAA oring is much more forgiving with cylinder ID than the steel ring/piston setup.. It is an all day job.. anbd is easier with a helper.. even if that helper is a wife, kid or neighbors kid.. but it is completely doable by yourself with no more than a torque wrench, 11/16 box wrench, and socket and breaker bar, and a razor blade to scrape the gasket flanges. A bottle jack helps you hold and position the 50# belly pump while you finagle the control valve into place. The topcover weights about 80# and is a bear to manhandle.. but again.. I did mine today.. Mostly labor and lots of oil/greasy grime.

Soundguy