ford backhoe lift cylinder

/ ford backhoe lift cylinder #1  

Lzane

Tractor
71/4000
My 71 ford backhoe's boom lift cylinder leaks between the packing and gland nut. I couldn't get the gland nut off, so I took off the cylinder and brought it to a New Holland dealer. They opened it and said it's not repairable. Anyone know where I can get salvage parts for it near Carmel, N.Y.

/ ford backhoe lift cylinder #2  
What did they say was wrong with it? All a cylinder is is a steel tube with a rod and plunger w/O rings or maybe leather washers. Take the cylinder to a hydraulics shop, if the tube is scored they can cut the ends off and weld a new sleeve in, if the plunger is shot they should have a new modern replacement one. I have taken several cylinders to the hydraulics shop and had two of them re-sleeved, others I have just bought a seal kit for and re-packed them myself it's not that hard. Just telling you that it is not repairable really isn't good enough, didn't they tell you why?

/ ford backhoe lift cylinder #3  
My 71 ford backhoe's boom lift cylinder leaks between the packing and gland nut. I couldn't get the gland nut off, so I took off the cylinder and brought it to a New Holland dealer. They opened it and said it's not repairable. Anyone know where I can get salvage parts for it near Carmel, N.Y.

Call Mooradian Hydraulics in Castleton, NY 518-766-3866 or drive up there with it. They are on RT 9 south of Albany/Troy just North of Thruway exit B-1. Yes, it is a bit of a drive from Carmel, but they are the best hydraulics shop in Eastern NY.

/ ford backhoe lift cylinder #4  
What did they say was wrong with it? All a cylinder is is a steel tube with a rod and plunger w/O rings or maybe leather washers. Take the cylinder to a hydraulics shop, if the tube is scored they can cut the ends off and weld a new sleeve in, if the plunger is shot they should have a new modern replacement one. I have taken several cylinders to the hydraulics shop and had two of them re-sleeved, others I have just bought a seal kit for and re-packed them myself it's not that hard. Just telling you that it is not repairable really isn't good enough, didn't they tell you why?

Agreed. We need to know what they said was wrong. And whatever it was is most certainly repairable. Wether it is cost effective or not.......

If buying a new FORD brand cylinder, I would say repair is going to be cheapest by far. Because they seem to think their cylinders are gold plated or something. I cant remember wether it was the 5.5" cylinder in my 5500 or the 4.5" one on dads 4500, but the price (I looked out of curiosity), was over $2800:eek:

And aftermarket one to match (same bore and stroke and ends) is WAY less than that.

I agree, take it to a hydraulic shop that specializes in this stuff and see what they say.

/ ford backhoe lift cylinder
They said the cylinder inside was scored, and the rod was bent. Thanks for the advice, I'm bringing it to a hydraulics shop.