ford manifold studs

/ ford manifold studs #1  

automech

Silver Member
Tractor
bx1500
Anybody have a source for manifold studs for an early 90's Ford V8 pickup? I needed some today for an exhaust manifold job and couldn't get them from the dealer. These are the 3 inch long total length "bolts" with a stud sticking out of the end for attaching all the extra things Ford likes to bolt onto the studs. Picture a 3 inch allthread rod with a nut at 2 inch. I can't believe I can't get these on the internet somewhere. Every E and F Ford 5 and 5.8l used these things.

/ ford manifold studs #2  
Try NAPA or Autozone and bring one with you
Jim
:)

/ ford manifold studs #3  
Dorman/motormite makes some of these. They are carried under the "HELP!" brand at parts stores.

/ ford manifold studs #4  
I tried DOrman brand ones before and won't do it again. They wouldn't even take the torque they were supposed to go to.

Ford should carry them. I replace them every time I rebuild an engine or take off the manifolds. I'm doing a 289 right now and have a set in my tool box from Ford that I just bought 2 years ago. If it's a 4.6 or 5.4 I know they have them. I probably have a few spare sets too if you really can't get them through your ford dealer. It's a 5.0 or 5.4 they really should be in stock there. Also ARP makes really nice ones. Get on the website for summitracing.com and you can find them. Advance auto parts carries that brand too and they also have another brand of engine bolts that should have yours covered. I forget the name offhand. I think it was Melling but I could be wrong.
Just don't get generic bolts. That stud is for the heat shield mostly and you really need it if you want your plug wires to last. I think they hold the dipstick tube and a couple of brackets for your intake and stuff. They need to be the right ones.