Forward to reverse while moving w hydro

/ Forward to reverse while moving w hydro #11  
I have an imperfect understanding of transmission with a hydro drive. Basically once I've said swash plate - I'm done!
I was bush hogging a steep bit by backing up the hill then heading down, rinse and repeat.
Am I doing any damage by going directly to reverse while still moving forward slowly? Or, is that what hydro is designed for? First hydro drive tractor and just felt wrong somehow.

What does your operator's manual say?

/ Forward to reverse while moving w hydro #12  
Heavens forbid - to suggest that the operator's manual be consulted. :laughing: :dance1:

/ Forward to reverse while moving w hydro #14  
I use the brakes to stop the tractor before changing direction when I'm mowing up and down steep hills. Replacing consumeable brake parts a bit sooner will cost a lot less than repairing the HST.

/ Forward to reverse while moving w hydro #15  
My Kubota M6040 does not have HST - it's hydraulic shuttle shift. I've never been in such a hurry that, one way or the other, I can't wait until the tractor comes to a full/complete stop to change directions. Just too dam much money involved to be in that kind of a rush.

In reality the modulation valve on the travelling pack will gradually change the direction. What is impacted adversely is the damper plate in the bellhousing. The plate looks like a clutch disk but the springs in it's outer diameter take the shock load off the pto end of the crankshaft. The springs absorb the shock load and eventually (like everything else) will fail.