Friend had a close call

/ Friend had a close call #11  
She got lucky, could have dumped that trailer on the highway and injured or killed you or your family.
Doubt it. Safety chains are connected, as seen in the photos.

/ Friend had a close call
Chains wouldn't have done anything except drag on the ground

/ Friend had a close call #14  
Looks like a heavy tongue load based on the size of the surge brake hardware. What does the boat+trailer weigh ? Doesn't look like the surge brake lockout was set, so she tried to back up a heavy trailer with it's brakes locked up. I'd guess any hitch condition would fail.

You can trick this situation by backing VERY slowly as to not compress the hitch, plus a boat ramp is sloped downward, helping you. Ya gotta be smooth to get away with this and conscientious enough to pull the lockout pin when you leave.

/ Friend had a close call #15  
This makes me think of the fact that I usually connect my electric braking system break-away cable to the same eye ring as the safety chains, which would be completely ineffective in a hitch separation like this. I guess we should be finding another location on the truck to which to hook these.

/ Friend had a close call #16  
Chains wouldn't have done anything except drag on the ground

You are right and I was wrong...didn't realize how that hitch was attached to the truck. Ran the pic through Photoshop to get a better look:

broken receiver hitch.jpg

/ Friend had a close call #17  
Ya, those chains would have stayed with the hitch and trailer….down the road somewheres. Scary.

i inspect mine yearly. When i purchased my 1994 dodge ram , the hitch receiver tube wasnt welded to the rest of the hitch….from factory. I noticed it when walking truck at dealer. I would have had to wait around for 2 days for replacement hitch, but seeing as i flew 1200 miles to pick up rig, they offered to pick up cost of repair after i got home. I wasnt towing anything on drive home.

/ Friend had a close call
Not sure what the total weight is. Trailer is way to big for the 16' boat. She hardly ever tows and I don't think she had the boat out of storage since her husband died.

She just doesn't understand about hitches and rust. She learned today. Luckily no one got hurt.

/ Friend had a close call #19  
I've seen it before and have suggested here in the past that people check or replace them after 7 years or so. Reciever hitches rust and you don't realize until something like this happens. The square tubing type catches sand, salt and all manner of other debris. The round type is welded with no open holes so it seems they would be better... except they condensate and there is no place for the water to go. I've drilled holes and watched the water run out... these tend to rust from the inside so you don't even know that there's a problem until something gives.