Front axle leaking on BX23

/ Front axle leaking on BX23 #1  

jim_wilson

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200 w/ BH77 & 12", 18" & 24" buckets, Kubota B50 SSQA w/ 54" & 60" buckets, LandPride FDR1660, Artillian Fork frame, Extreme 3pt rake, Concrete Mixer, MyTractorTools grapple adapter
I just noticed recently that the front axle on my BX23 appears to be leaking. I have a definite leak on the right hand side of the axle where the wheel hub pivots on the main axle assembly and then it also looks like there is a leak around the center axle pivot point.

Has anybody else seen this problem? I just got the tractor last July so I think it is still under warranty but I don't know if this repair would be under warranty or not. I topped up the axle housing with Super UDT just to make sure it did not run dry so I am good for now. I leaks pretty good though - leaves a small wet spot on the ground if I sit in one place for more than 5 minutes or so. The tractor has about 270 hours on it now and the air filter mounting bracket is also broken so if I have to haul it up to the dealer I figure I might as well get all the warranty stuff done at once.

I think I also have a hydraulic fluid leak at the rear of the tractor but I havent been able to find where that one is coming from yet.

/ Front axle leaking on BX23 #2  
It should be covered unless the dealer finds some wiggle way of saying that it isn't. Seems that what the warranty says and what the dealers believe the warranty says is two entirely different subjects. Stand firm if they say you have to pay for the repair and tell them to battle with Kubota for payment. The warranty on the tractor itself is for unlimited hours and 3 years.

/ Front axle leaking on BX23 #3  
Mine started to leak at the axle pivit point last fall. I noticed in the manual that you can use Super UDT or SAE90 gear oil. So I retorque the pivit nut and add SAE90 gear oil. No leaks yet. We don't get much snow so cold weather use is not a issue for me.

/ Front axle leaking on BX23
I saw something in another post about tightening the pivot nut - when you say pivot nut do you mean the one in the center of the axle housing or the one for the hub? I thought about draining the Super UDT and putting gear oil - figuring the same thing you obviously did - that the thicker gear oil would not leak out as easily. For now I have just been checking and topping off the axle as needed with Super UDT. I use the tractor almost every day but was planning on getting it to the dealer in a few weeks when the work winds down. There are a few issues I would like to get fixed while it is still under warranty - the leak at front axle hub leak, the leak at the pivot point, the broken air filter bracket, the hazards don't work anymore, there is another leak from the back of the tractor, etc.