Front wheel snapped OFF! Yowsa!!!

/ Front wheel snapped OFF! Yowsa!!! #1  

tower59

Hello, all! So I was minding my own business, shredding a nice, flat pasture in my Mahindra 5525 2WD when all of a sudden *KAWHOOMP*!!! My left front wheel snapped off of the tractor! Didn't know that was even a possibility. The tractor is about 9 years old with about 350 hours on it. I'm not an expert here, but it looks like the wheel just broke- note in the picture that the interior rim of the wheel itself has a piece that has broken off. The good news is that I wasn't hurt, it didn't roll, and I had my seatbelt on. The bad news is that the tractor is seriously out of commission. So, (1) what exactly do you experts think happened? , (2) how do you fix it?, and (3) how would you get this thing on a trailer? (I'm taking this somewhere to get it worked on- it's out of my league.) Appreciate any and all suggestions!!!

IMG_2445.JPGIMG_2443.JPG

/ Front wheel snapped OFF! Yowsa!!! #2  
Do you have a loader on your tractor? If so you can use it to lift the front up and either back it to a place you can work on it or you may need to get help to drag it.
This happened to me with my Kubota and I was in too steep of an area so got a friend to help pull it with his 4X4 on to the roadway where it would move it's self.On mine, 4 wheel drive, it was a short stub shaft that hadn't been welded all the way when built so I just replaced that part and it's been fine since.
I think if you look at it close, once you have it in a better place, and get over the shock of it happening you will see that it isn't that hard of a fix.

/ Front wheel snapped OFF! Yowsa!!! #3  
It's really not a hard fix, once you realize what needs to be done. The spindle broke off , the wheel hub don't appear messed up , As for getting it out of the field, jack up the broken side up until it's a couple foot high, then drive a large wooden wedge in between the axle and frame on the other side, this will keep the axle from pivoting and hold up the broken side. Then drive it out to where you can get a trailer to it if you wish.

/ Front wheel snapped OFF! Yowsa!!! #5  
Heck, I'd fix it where it's setting. If your going to have someone else fix it, it'd be easier for them to come to the tractor, than to take it somewhere. Yeah, it will cost you a field service call, but may be a lot less than any further damage that may happen trying to load & unload. JMO...

/ Front wheel snapped OFF! Yowsa!!! #6  
Basically as the others have said. Make a sled for the front so it can slid. Also if you have a friend, neighbor, etc with a tractor with a 3pt - you can sling it up and put it in neutral and roll it out.