Frustrations over a Huhn Tedder

/ Frustrations over a Huhn Tedder #1  

bill ns

Bronze Member
Tractor
1970 ,276 International Harvester2008 dk 35 kioti, 1957 cockshutt540
I was gifted a old weather beaten but mechanically sound GF 4 Kuhn Tedder The fellow who gave it to me never used it .It was on the farm when he bought it . I have put all new wheels and rims on it and started to replace the busted tines which is about half of them .Then i ran into problems There is 2 settings on the 2 inside wheels a high one and a low one .It was in the high setting when i got it .When i spin the pto shaft the arms make contact with the control handle on the back of the 2 inside legs When i lower it to low position The tines hit the tires . The arms are not bent I have adjusted the adjusting screw all the way in and out
I am wondering if any one can tell me which position is best and what the differences are .Is the high position for road travel and not meant to spin
This is a 4 basket model any help would be greatly appreciated

/ Frustrations over a Huhn Tedder #2  
I was gifted a old weather beaten but mechanically sound GF 4 Kuhn Tedder The fellow who gave it to me never used it .It was on the farm when he bought it . I have put all new wheels and rims on it and started to replace the busted tines which is about half of them .Then i ran into problems There is 2 settings on the 2 inside wheels a high one and a low one .It was in the high setting when i got it .When i spin the pto shaft the arms make contact with the control handle on the back of the 2 inside legs When i lower it to low position The tines hit the tires . The arms are not bent I have adjusted the adjusting screw all the way in and out
I am wondering if any one can tell me which position is best and what the differences are .Is the high position for road travel and not meant to spin
This is a 4 basket model any help would be greatly appreciated

Got photos? Wonder if someone had it apart to fix and when they put it back together did it wrong and left it. Normally a Kuhn tedder isn't "left behind"

Only Kuhn 4 rotor I ran let you angle the wheels, but didn't change height of machine. Crank on front would control tilt of baskets, normally level them out for road travel, tip forward for tedding.

/ Frustrations over a Huhn Tedder #3  
Did you put the right size tires and wheels on it?

/ Frustrations over a Huhn Tedder
lol Yes Art i put the right size wheels on it they are surprisingly hard to find 6'' The old ones were on it just rotted and the bearings seized The Tedder was left behind because nothing ever left this farm for years until the son took over and he doesnt hay And i did some work for him and iasked about it he gave it to me .His father bad mouthed the tedder saying it beat the leaves off the grass and his cows almost starved There were very few tedders in this country until a few years ago Still a lot of rolla bar rakes and mostly ground drive .
There is two height adjustments and the crank adjusts the angles Maybe i just need to play with the adjustment some more .

/ Frustrations over a Huhn Tedder #5  
Pic please . Alot of these old 4 basket tedders were made my fannex/vicon or kuhn but basically the same . I run an antique fannex 400

/ Frustrations over a Huhn Tedder #6  
beat the leaves off the grass and his cows almost starved There were very few tedders in this country until a few years ago

That's funny! Not many leaves on grass hay. Never even beat the leaves off clover

Had a Kuhn since the early 80s here. Couldn't make hay without today.

/ Frustrations over a Huhn Tedder #7  
On my Kuhn the tilt handle is what is needed to be adjusted to clear the arms from the frame. In operation mode the tines should be 1/2" off the ground when operating and easily clear the frame. In this position the rake is pitched forward. You can still get manuals for this unit, so do a bit of searching. BTW I believe the high setting is for transport. Hope this helps

/ Frustrations over a Huhn Tedder
Thanks for the advice guys I discovered that i had some slightly bent arms and with the combo of a couple of old bent fingers I hope i have it sorted now I have been too busy to mess with it too much as we are fighting the rain trying to get crops in the ground .